some feedback, nikon or eos 30d or 40?

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I`m selling a couple dolls to free up some money to make a purchase.. what direction should i go into. i need a great camera, something that will give me great portrait quality shots.

where to begin.. nikon or eos... or else where? any info please....

I want to keep my purchase under $2,000.00. So where do i begin? i need something for good close ups and all of my subjects will be within 5/6 feet of the camera. Mostly without flash. i photograph and sell dolls for a living. so my pictures really need to look crisp and professional.

I found a thread that discusses Canon 40D and the Rebel but none on Nikon and Canon comparisons, maybe I need to learn to use the search a bit better, you have the link perhaps?

can you point me in the direction of the thread that answers my questions.. i`d really appreciate..

Stinky ... the truth of the matter is that you won't see a difference in Image Quality (IQ) between similarly priced Nikons and Canons. Both brands will deliver a professional, high quality image. In this case the operator is the main limiting factor.

What is true for Canon (to a lesser extent with Nikon because Nikon uses different types of sensors within their line up) is that up to an 8x10, you will not see any difference in IQ between the entry level Canon and Canon's professional cameras. The more monies you spend the more features and better build ... but the IQ is about the same (up to an 8x10 and under ISO 400.)

Again, if you have a series of photos all laying on a table top ... you won't be able to distinguish Nikon from Canon.

I know it doesn't help you any ... but it is what it is. Quality glass is as important as the camera and both Nikon and Canon make high quality glass.

Again no help. And for shooting dolls ... you really don't need any of the features in the higher priced cameras for shooting dolls.

MP's are more hype than realty. Once again up to an 8x10 you will not see any visible difference in IQ between an 8MP camera and a 16MP camera. (I shoot with an 8MP and 12MP cameras and cannot see a difference at 8x10.)

Many here say go for what feels best in your hands ... which doesn't cut it for me because all dSLRs are designed to accommodate a human hand and brain. You will quickly adapt to whatever camera/system you're using ... again a level playing field.

Whatever you buy ... you should do well with.

Gary

Edit: Beat to the punch by seconds.

To be honest, it would be hard to find a $2,000 DSLR setup that wouldn't be capable of the professional-quality shots that you need.

There is absolutely no answer to the Canon or Nikon question. There. I said it.

With that said, http://www.dcresource.com has some very useful reviews and comparisons to help you determine which one has advantages that are better suited to what you're trying to do. It's what I used when I bought my first DSLR in May. As for the thread, I do not know where it is, but I am sure someone can dig it up for you.

Many here say go for what feels best in your hands ... which doesn't cut it for me because all dSLRs are designed to accommodate a human hand and brain. You will quickly adapt to whatever camera/system you're using ... again a level playing field.

Gary

I 90% agree with that statement but i was all set to buy a canon until i grabbed one and found how tiny those things are.... I know i could have bought a grip but something about the D50 felt natural as it is

Other then that Seefutlung laid it out perfect... follow his advice

Do a google search for "this camera vs that camera" with the actual names and you will find plenty of reviews. The bottom line is, they are both great performers and the negative qualities within each system is made up by its positive qualities. Read independent, individual reviews, also, look at reviews from people that actually own them and use them daily instead of a week long trial run by some editor guy...The editor might know all the ins and outs of photography, but the daily user will tell what he/she likes because he/she uses it daily!

I 90% agree with that statement but i was all set to buy a canon until i grabbed one and found how tiny those things are.... I know i could have bought a grip but something about the D50 felt natural as it is

Other then that Seefutlung laid it out perfect... follow his advice

Usually I suggest to use "feel" as a last and least important qualifier ... but I just got tired of keyboarding.

G

For me FEEL doesn`t matter because my camera will just about live on a tripod...

seeing as how it doesn't matter what you choose, this is just a suggestion

canon xti, great image quality at a low price.. $520
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457530-REG/Canon_1239B002_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XTi.html

24-70 2.8L a very very high quality Canon L series lens great for portraits or whatever of your dolls, its on sale now for $1059
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264304-USA/Canon_8014A002_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_EF.html

thats an awesome set up for 1579, of course you would still need a memory card, tripod and maybe lighting.

a new 30d will cost ya $800, if you are using it for just doll pictures in a studio on a tripod, i wouldnt spend the extra on the better build quality when you would be hard pressed to tell the difference of image quality. Thats 280 you can spend on lighting or whatever which is going to be a much more important factor of how the final image looks than which camera body you choose.

For me FEEL doesn`t matter because my camera will just about live on a tripod...

It sounds like the doll photos will be the ONLY use for the camera. The dolls ain't gonna move around. You'll set up the camera once and then take the shots. I suggest the Nikon D40 ($400?) and the 50 mm f/1.4 lens ($350). You will have to manually focus this lens but the camera will tell you when you have good focus. Here's a "doll" that I shot using that lens on the D80. By the way, the D80 will autofocus with that lens but it's double the price. It does, however, have other advantages over the D40 that are important to me but do nothing for you.

http://web.mac.com/george.dick/Photos/Katie.html

I`ll need some close up shots of eyes, eyebrow hairs, great detail etc, (I paint every single hair, one hair at a time) then distance shots of full beds, cradles etc.. then at doll shows... where lighting can be an issue. I`m really grateful to everyones posts. I want a high end camera because I only want to make this purchase once. Plus I want it for my personal use too.

Or you could get a D50 like I did for $350 and pick up a 50mm 1.4 and have it autofocus.

I`ll need some close up shots of eyes, eyebrow hairs, great detail etc, (I paint every single hair, one hair at a time) then distance shots of full beds, cradles etc.. then at doll shows... where lighting can be an issue. I`m really grateful to everyones posts. I want a high end camera because I only want to make this purchase once. Plus I want it for my personal use too.

For close ups you will want a macro, Nikon, Canon and 3rd party lens makers all make very good macros. A macro will let you get very very close.

example:
28692312_vcFKq-L.jpg

Personally, I would stay away from CCD sensors. CMOS sensors are superior for photography in low light/high ISO situations. Nikon uses CCD sensors (made by Sony) in all their cameras except the $5000 D3 and the $1800 D300 which uses CMOS. At ISO 400 and up the CCD cameras produce more noise than a CMOS camera (noise looks like grain in a film image). The higher the ISO the greater the noise.

While you won't need high ISO if you're working with a tripod or with flash ... but for the same money you might as well get a camera that will give you better images across a greater range of lighting situations than a camera which has a significant image quality drop-off in low light.

While Nikons are great cameras, Nikon's most affordable camera's performance are limited to select lighting and select lenses ... so that being said (I hate that phrase ...) I suggest a Canon XTi or a the replacement an XSi which will be released in April.

Gary

PS- I don't think that lenses will be that big of a deal for the Nikon D40 ... but it is a limitation nonetheless.
G

here's another macro shot:
28692303_Xdtwt-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back