Some new photos posted in gallery, here are a few for C&C Please!

Photo 1 is the bobcat exibit at the local park. In order to photograph the bobcats, lions, or bears you must shoot through the windows. Makes it a challenge. Taken on 11-18-2011. #2 is a new photo of the bison at the local park. these new park photos were taken on 11-18-2011 earlier in the day than the last batch. #3 is another photo from the machine fire at the local school this year. It shows more detail of what the machine is.

2 , blown out on the main subject.

Last edited:
the lighting on the park photos was better today than last weeks shots since I went earlier. I did not do any editing other than just resize to post online. Thank you for your C&C

It's very hard to edit a blowout. If it can be , at all. Most often, it can't.

Not telling you anything you don't already know.

You need to meter for what is your subject. In the case of the bison, you need to put your camera on spot metering if you have it and meter the bison's white coat. If you shoot RAW you can recover some details but it's better not to burn out in the first place.

Biggest challenge in the first shot is to find the bobcats or lions. Are they hiding or am I going blind?

thereyougo! said:
You need to meter for what is your subject. In the case of the bison, you need to put your camera on spot metering if you have it and meter the bison's white coat. If you shoot RAW you can recover some details but it's better not to burn out in the first place.

Biggest challenge in the first shot is to find the bobcats or lions. Are they hiding or am I going blind?

I agree with the spot metering. The biggest issue with the 2nd photo is the blown out are. If your camera has manual mode, shutter priority or aperture priority I'd recommend using one of those. You can't spot meter while in auto and spot metering will really help in tricky lighting.

thereyougo! said:
You need to meter for what is your subject. In the case of the bison, you need to put your camera on spot metering if you have it and meter the bison's white coat. If you shoot RAW you can recover some details but it's better not to burn out in the first place.Biggest challenge in the first shot is to find the bobcats or lions. Are they hiding or am I going blind?
I agree with the spot metering. The biggest issue with the 2nd photo is the blown out are. If your camera has manual mode, shutter priority or aperture priority I'd recommend using one of those. You can't spot meter while in auto and spot metering will really help in tricky lighting.
I agree. Of course if the OP would put his settings and what camera he uses etc as I suggested in another thread then we'd be able to help more. I suspect it's auto in which case it doesn't make any difference which camera is used its point and shoot. On the first shot. I can't see any bobcat or any other kind of cat. Sorry OP but without them in the shot and them being firmly established as subjects by zooming in and using shallow DOF then this is just a rather insipid shot of a yard. On the fire shot all this is showing is a low contrast shot of flames out of a window and this doesn't really look like the subject. Try and get out of auto mode and study composition and exposure. I hope this isn't the better action shot as if that was in my LCD screen the next button I would press is the delete button. It's not a keeper.

Exif Data:

Camera Make = FUJIFILM
Camera Model = FinePix S1500

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/1400 second ===> 1/140 second ===> 0.00714 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 400/100 ===> ƒ/4
Exposure Program = normal program (2)
ISO Speed Ratings = 64
EXIF Version = 0220
Original Date/Time = 2011:11:17 12:49:31
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:11:17 12:49:31
Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
Compressed Bits per Pixel = 20/10 ===> 2
Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 706/100
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/133.44 second
Aperture Value (APEX) = 400/100
Aperture = ƒ/4
Brightness (APEX) = 500/100
Brightness = 32 foot-lambert
Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/100 ===> 0
Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 297/100 ===> 2.97
Max Aperture = ƒ/2.8
Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 690/100 mm ===> 6.9 mm
Maker Note =
FlashPix Version = 0100
Colour Space = sRGB (1)
Image Width = 3648 pixels
Image Height = 2736 pixels
Focal Plane X-Resolution = 6129/1 ===> 6129
Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 6129/1 ===> 6129
Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = centimeter (3)
Image Sensing Method = one-chip color area sensor (2)
Image Source = digital still camera (DSC)
Scene Type = directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
White Balance = auto (0)
Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
Sharpness = normal (0)
Subject Distance Range = unknown (0)
Unknown tag, Tagnum 0xea1d = data ===> -16

I agree about the buffalo, his back is blown. Next to impossible to fix in post because there is no data to rescue.

Exif Data:

Camera Make = FUJIFILM
Camera Model = FinePix S1500

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/1400 second ===> 1/140 second ===> 0.00714 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 400/100 ===> ƒ/4
Exposure Program = normal program (2)
ISO Speed Ratings = 64
EXIF Version = 0220
Original Date/Time = 2011:11:17 12:49:31
Digitization Date/Time = 2011:11:17 12:49:31
Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
Compressed Bits per Pixel = 20/10 ===> 2
Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 706/100
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/133.44 second
Aperture Value (APEX) = 400/100
Aperture = ƒ/4
Brightness (APEX) = 500/100
Brightness = 32 foot-lambert
Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/100 ===> 0
Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 297/100 ===> 2.97
Max Aperture = ƒ/2.8
Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 690/100 mm ===> 6.9 mm
Maker Note =
FlashPix Version = 0100
Colour Space = sRGB (1)
Image Width = 3648 pixels
Image Height = 2736 pixels
Focal Plane X-Resolution = 6129/1 ===> 6129
Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 6129/1 ===> 6129
Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = centimeter (3)
Image Sensing Method = one-chip color area sensor (2)
Image Source = digital still camera (DSC)
Scene Type = directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
White Balance = auto (0)
Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
Sharpness = normal (0)
Subject Distance Range = unknown (0)
Unknown tag, Tagnum 0xea1d = data ===> -16

I agree about the buffalo, his back is blown. Next to impossible to fix in post because there is no data to rescue.
Appreciate that , but we have had difficulty with this poster giving information in order for people to give him guidance. If everybody does it for him, he'll never provide it, he needs to help other people help him.
OP, try to use some of the semi auto settings so the camera isn't doing all the work for you. You need to direct the camera, and that includes deciding the exposure for yourself...

Thank you MTVision, I tried all of my settings and they didn't do much better with the buffalo but worked with some of the other animals.

Sorry about that for #1. That is the bobcat exibit. In order to shoot photos of the bobcats, lions, or bears you must shoot through the glass windows. Sorry again about that.

I tried to shoot the buffalo in the following modes: Auto, Manual, Aperture, Shutter Priority. Due to the sun on the buffalo's back it didn't work too well no matter what setting I used. I even tried other angles without much success.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back