Some of my best shots so far, C+C appreciated

revilo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these last weekend, and I was pretty pleased with them. The horizon is too central for my liking, but somehow I'm still relatively pleased.

3204126837_abe873cb88.jpg

S/S: 1/160
A: f/8
ISO: 100

3204123663_55ce69b743.jpg

Same exposure values for this one.

#1 - I would suggest either fill the frame completely with the tree and reflection (take out some of the sky/water on each end) or leave the zoom where it is and compose differently, with the tree at the top or reflection at the very bottom of the frame. That would accomplish the same result while maybe not drawing the "holy centered-horizon, Batman!" reaction :p But I agree with you, I really like the shot. I've got one similar that I'm kinda dealing with.

#2 - seems too centered for me. Though that may have been your intent, just doesn't do it for me. Not a bad shot, just doesn't do a lot for me at the moment. Maybe too much brown for me this time o' year :p

The horizon is too central for my liking, but somehow I'm still relatively pleased.
It's okay to center the horizon when you're doing a reflection shot. And it actually works okay for your second image too. You got some nice stuff going on in this shot...several leading lines, nice colors and a lot of stuff for the eyes to wander over.

Both shots seem a little underexposed and a little over processed (a little too sharp).

But both shots have a nice rural feel to them.

Thanks. I didn't sharpen the first shot, just did curves to up the contrast. I did sharpen the second one a little too much though, I agree.
I metered off the sky for both, so should I have added a fraction of a stop to brighten these shots up? I may have also over done the curves as well.

I really like #1. #2 didn't do much for me though.

i love the first one...just make it a tighter crop (but people always say i over crop :D) the second one though sorry just i dunno give me a headache too much there....try that same shot when there arent so many leaves

haha i totally disagree with almost everyone about the second shot. i love it! i think it is very beautiful! for some reason shots like this always get me... the almost enclosed feeling pathway to nowhere... haha i dunno. but i love it!

(and the first one is a great shot too. i agree that maybe some cropping would help)

Yes. I like the second photo a lot, too. Granted, you went a tad too far in the sharpening, but knowing that it need not necessarily be this sharp, I like what I see, I like the vanishing point element with the converging lines, the repetition that the shadows of the hedge is giving, the colours, and the feeling of rustling leaves that this photo gives me. Show it less sharpened and a bit larger, and you're there.

The first looks odd, yes: it isn't your standard photo size, as chrisburke is pointing out, and there is no reason (that I would recognise as one) for this crop. There is way too much sky above the tree. If there was something on the side that you needed to "get rid of" by cropping the photo on its sides, then go on and crop of sky until you reach the top branch, and water until you reach the top branch. Make it a "play-card"-effect photo with the horizon RIGHT in the middle and the same above and below. I think it'd work.

i would crop out the top a little to concentrate on the tree and reflection

#1 is a great shot, but the proportions seem weird. I think you should crop it down a bit.

Regarding #2. If I were taking it, I'd probably stand right next to the fence & crouch a bit, so that it leads more into the picture and is the subject of the picture. It'd also reduce a bit of the dead growth on the trees, which is less interesting than the path & fence. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back