problems at the place i get my film developed

zeppelin390

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wingsimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking my film to a local place to get my film developed and am noticing some things and wondering if anybody is having the same problem. When I get my pictures back, they are in some sort of random order that I did not take them in. This seriously screws me up when I get them back home and and want to compare them to my shot record. I may take the same shot 4 or 5 different times, but at different exposures. With the pictures out of order, there is no way for me to tell which picture was at which exposure. I have also noticed that some pictures are just missing. I know I took 24 pictures, but when I only get 22 back, you have to figure something is wrong.
Has this happened to anybody else, and if so, is there something I can do about it? Or just take my film elsewhere?

Do they not print the file name on the back? That should clear it up, no?

are you saying the prints are shuffled? Shouldn't matter, just go by the negatives.

are you saying the prints are shuffled? Shouldn't matter, just go by the negatives.

What the OP is saying is that he is taking images of the same item at different shutter speeds or Aperture values. It would be hard to tell what the photos would be based on the negative. The missing prints are probably ones that didnt come out so the lab threw them out and didnt charge you for them. The easiest solution to the problem is do it yourself.

The order of the negs should still help-- in fact I think that would probably be pretty clear.

Is there any sequence to the numbers on the back of the prints? A lot of machines will print sequential numbers.

I have also noticed that some pictures are just missing. I know I took 24 pictures, but when I only get 22 back, you have to figure something is wrong.
Has this happened to anybody else, and if so, is there something I can do about it? Or just take my film elsewhere?
I think that is just the guy at the lab deciding which ones aren't worth printing.

I don't get prints, I just get it developed and scan it at home. Before I got my scanner, I always had the same problem. I hate it when they decide for you what isn't even worth printing... I have a few that they felt weren't good enough to print, but I thought were pretty good. (Usually mostly dark photos, they just think the whole thing is dark and skip it.)

You could tell them that you want prints of all of them, even the "bad" ones.

file name? I'm not sure what that is. There is some stuff written on the back, but doesn't make any sense to me
The frame number is usually in there somewhere.

Oops - sorry, I didn't see that you were dealing with film, not digital files. I retract that comment then.

you can still get prints from bad negs eg. underexposed negs if you know what you are doing

The people at most 1 hour places will most likely not even bother trying.

I've had more than a few that they didn't feel were worth printing that turned out pretty good.

If you ask them to print and charge you for every frame I'm sure they would be glad to do so. Most labs skip severely over or under exposed negs because their experience is that 99.9% of people don't want to pay for them.

Shuffled prints are a good sign. That means a live human being, the lab tech, has actually looked at the prints with their own eyeballs, and probably reprinted a few with corrections. Nice neat, ordered stacks of prints means you're getting them as they came out of the machine the first time, and it may mean no one has bothered to look them over.

Some labs do print film frame numbers on the back of the prints.

Most reactions

Back