Some of my recent photo attempts... C&C please?

TooShay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband recently converted our two car garage into a home studio for me. Right now I'm just doing free work while building a portfolio and gaining business knowledge. That said, I'd like to get some feedback on my lighting as I'm fairly new to studio lighting. These are all sessions that I've done in the past week with my step-daughter and a friend's two year old (we did an impromptu cake smash just for kicks.) Oh, and I already know that my floordrops wrinkle, it drives me up a wall so if anyone has any tips on how to make them lay flat, I'm all ears!

IMG_4647 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_4675 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_5093 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_4960 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Quite good I think. The only suggestion I'd make is in #3, it looks like your light is a bit too close the her and the angle is too strong... there's quite a bit of fall-off from the right-to-left. Also, I feel like the shadow side of the face has too much shadow falling on it considering the light/happy feel of the photo. Both of these can be solved by moving the key light closer to the camera... you don't even need to change the subject-to-light distance because fall-off from front to back is much more acceptable than side-to-side (in my opinion, and for this specific shot). You can also see the catchlight in *her* right eye is not as noticeable... I think because it's partially shadowed by the nose. To avoid this, make sure the light can "see" both eyes fully.

*Sigh*

I have a bad habit of going back and editing posts several times so they end up a big mess.

Bottom line... the 3 issues I mentioned above are all solved by moving your key light back toward the camera a bit.

just adding-your paper floor has waves in it. Double sided tape.

Ah, I see what you mean, there's no catchlight in her right eye (left side of the picture). I'll have to try to move the light next time. Thanks for catching that, I knew there was something odd about that picture. I don't like the shadow either.

just adding-your paper floor has waves in it. Double sided tape.

I've tried painter's tape and that didn't do much... would I do rows of the double sided tape?

*Sigh*

I have a bad habit of going back and editing posts several times so they end up a big mess.

Bottom line... the 3 issues I mentioned above are all solved by moving your key light back toward the camera a bit.

Moving the light back will make it harsher, what where your camera settings ?

*Sigh*

F/8, 1/200, ISO 100

Moving the light back will make it harsher, what where your camera settings ?

F/8, 1/200, ISO 100

I think she was saying to move it towards the camera axis, not actually further from the subject.

Have you tried clamshell lighting ? 1 softbox straight on about 2 foot above subject (main light) and another placed near the ground as fill then shoot between them

No, I only have a one light set up at the moment, but that sounds really interesting. I'm going to purchase more lighting equipment soon so I can't wait until I can explore more lighting options.

Most reactions

Back