some other studio shots

pdcphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have taken a fancy for black dog on black BG.
Let me know what you think.

12715844_10153410256361716_6506138944866157561_o.jpg
12710721_10153408364766716_3139957541820658332_o.jpg

12513558_10153399771811716_2648783244983253272_o.jpg

This one I had to turn b&w because there was a lot of flare on the head, but the pose was Too sweet to let it go

12654518_10153396287326716_7858894402896783602_n.jpg

My studio is very small, very limited and working with cheap lights too.

I have yet to try my studio with my d750 (these are with d7100)

I usually do outside photography action etc

This one I had to turn b&w because there was a lot of flare on the head, but the pose was Too sweet to let it go

My thinking ?

Black dog on a black background ???
cheap lights?
dude, what were you thinking ?

(hint: stick with your "outside photography action")

Last edited:
I rather like some of them, The dog is all black but yet not quite all black, there's a bit of color and some nice texture in the dog's coat.

I like the bottom left photo on the top picture. Nice catchlights, good expression. I think a kicker light is really essential for black on black photos (whether it's a dog or a shirt or hair.)

But for me, the rest look accidental, the type that would probably get deleted right away. The good news is, they look better than your last photo shoot. Keep practicing!

My thinking ?

Black dog on a black background ???
cheap lights?
dude, what were you thinking ?

(hint: stick with your "outside photography action")
Hmm I'm only one week into these type of photos.

Now im thinking. You stick with photography but stay away giving criticism. I love comments and critique. .but only if I can do something with it

I like the bottom left photo on the top picture. Nice catchlights, good expression. I think a kicker light is really essential for black on black photos (whether it's a dog or a shirt or hair.)

But for me, the rest look accidental, the type that would probably get deleted right away. The good news is, they look better than your last photo shoot. Keep practicing!
Can you explain accidental please?
And thank you. I won't give up.

Can you explain accidental please?
And thank you. I won't give up.

Sure.

What I mean is, it looks like you were randomly pressing the shutter button without waiting for "the moment."

Remember that when you're taking pictures of pets, we humans like to project human emotions and personalities onto them. Therefore, even though their facial structure is vastly different to our own, we like to look for similarities.

Look at all of your pictures and try to imagine a human face. Would it be a keeper if the man were looking off, not paying attention, not engaging the camera, or with no emotion on his face? Of course not. That's why it doesn't work with the dog in the three other pictures in the top square.

The two large black photos both have us looking straight up the dog's nose. Again, imagine a human tilting his head back so we're staring at nose hairs. Not attractive.

As for the last one, I understand what you felt you were capturing...the dog showing love for the stuffed animal. And in the moment, it's possible he was. But in the picture, he's just looking at it. It's not a terrible picture, and if not for the flare I'd have kept it too. But it definitely doesn't quite capture what you were looking for, and with the technical problems on top of that if throw it out.

Now look back at the bottom right of the first picture. Like I said, it could be improved with a kicker to separate him and a reflector on the dark side just so he doesn't melt away into the background. Imagine a human face there. He's engaged, he's focus, he looks cheerful and natural, his chin is down so we're not looking up his nose. That's the kind of thing you should be looking for. Flattering light, sparkling catchlights, natural expressions. Humans and posed pets are photographed in very similar ways, so studying up on portrait photography could help a lot. Running dogs are photographed more like sports, which it sounds like you're used to. I think you'll agree that sports and portraits are two very different genres, even if they're of the same person, and someone who wants to do both with have to study techniques for each.

I do agree to a certain point, a human poses. A dog does not. and making a dog sit in a studio and taking photos especially portrait will not capture moments, but more generic images. Not a lot of feeling to it.
The reason I like black on black is because it does make that bit of difference.

for example, when I am out with the dogs I do take portraits or facial shots too as there I get expressions more clearly, the dogs are having fun. Especially when I take them swimming and I am in the water with them.
A dog in a small studio is forced, difficult to catch expressions, exept for them wanting the ball you are holding or the treat.
which happened in all of the above shots.

I will take on your advice of lighting as that is where i struggle the most. I only just got a reflector, an d I think if I use my FF camera I may get easier resulkts and I dont have to use as much light either or i can even it out easier in a smaller room>

All the above were taken with my d7100. so i needed to push more light without having a light catching the black background which was the biggest challenge,

I do agree to a certain point, a human poses. A dog does not. and making a dog sit in a studio and taking photos especially portrait will not capture moments, but more generic images. Not a lot of feeling to it.
The reason I like black on black is because it does make that bit of difference.

for example, when I am out with the dogs I do take portraits or facial shots too as there I get expressions more clearly, the dogs are having fun. Especially when I take them swimming and I am in the water with them.
A dog in a small studio is forced, difficult to catch expressions, exept for them wanting the ball you are holding or the treat.
which happened in all of the above shots.

I will take on your advice of lighting as that is where i struggle the most. I only just got a reflector, an d I think if I use my FF camera I may get easier resulkts and I dont have to use as much light either or i can even it out easier in a smaller room>

All the above were taken with my d7100. so i needed to push more light without having a light catching the black background which was the biggest challenge,
Your new camera will make no difference to the shots unless you get the lighting better

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Your new camera will make no difference to the shots unless you get the lighting better

What I am saying is, that I can get more in frame with FF without catching the other lights in my lens. also the lights dont have to be as strong as the camera deals better in lower light.

As for the lights position etc,.. yes I am experimenting and added a reflector as suggested.

What I am saying is, that I can get more in frame with FF without catching the other lights in my lens. also the lights dont have to be as strong as the camera deals better in lower light.

As for the lights position etc,.. yes I am experimenting and added a reflector as suggested.
That's not how you work in a studio, I'll post some shots where I set up a studio at a dog show and printed on site

PDC_0387-Edit.jpg
here one i just did,.. lights moved around added reflector

could you please tell me where the lights are? these are fab

Most reactions

Back