Some questions about getting a Canon Film SLR

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been thinking lately that I may want to get a Canon film SLR.

The only Canon one that I see for sale on B&H is the EOS-1V, at $1700.

The reason I may want to get one, is that I have almost zero experience with film, and thought it may serve to increase my knowledge and experience.

It would be compatible with my L glass, and also would be a cool keepsake for the future.

My questions are:

1. How much longer do you think Canon will continue to make film SLRs?

2. Do you think that it would really help to increase my photographic knowledge and experience by much?

3. Is there anything I am failing to see in the equation, or additional things I would need to buy other than just film?

Neil

1. I don't know if they are still making film SLRs at all. I'd guess that any new ones you still see, are just remaining stock. And while the 1V is a nice camera, $1700 for a 35m film SLR seems ridiculous these days.

2. Besides learning about the properties of film and the differences between different types...I don't know that it will teach you anything specific. Although, just the act of shooting with film, not having an LCD for instant review, can help to give you a patience in your photography, that you might not get when you shoot digital only.

3. Film is not too expensive, although it's getting harder to find. Processing will likely be more expensive than the film...and that too, is getting harder to find.

I guess if you want a top of the line, professional 35mm film SLR, then the 1V (or other 1 series) would be a good choice....but with film, the camera is basically a box to hold the film. The options are different, but it's the lens and the film that make the image.

If you want something less expensive, you can probably find some good quality ones on the used market. The Elan series were mid-level, and pretty decent. The EOS 3 was a gem. And the film Rebels are dime a dozen these days. I've had one or two just given to me because people don't use them at all since getting their P&S digicams.

Thanks Mike,

Ya it does seem like a lot...

Maybe I will just look into used ones, as that would be far more affordable while still providing the experience.

Neil

While I've bought a few used pieces of gear at B&H, KEH.com is the place I usually go to for used gear. Below is a listing of EOS film camera bodies. A few years ago I bought a used Elan7 that looked like new for not much money. I wouldn't spend too much money on a 35mm camera.

Canon EOS Camera Bodies - KEH.com

If you want to really shoot film, go for something like an older AE-1, or Pentax k1000 or something like that. No hand holding from a camera like that.

Or just skip the Canon altogether and get yourself a Leica M and a nice lens to go with it. After using that, you may not want to go back to digital.

Question: 2. Do you think that it would really help to increase my photographic knowledge and experience by much?

NO. But it will teach you about scratched film, dusty film, crummy prints, spotted slides and negatives, crappy color prints, and what it's like to make pictures that cost 75 cents per frame, and which stand a good chance of being ruined by some id'jot who works in the lab or by dirty,filthy film brought in by people who keep un-canned rolls in their pockets and purses for a week before dropping it off at the lab....and you'll learn what it's like to entrust your work to the part-time lab dude who also works at another job during the night shift. If you wish to digitize the images, you'll also learn about slow scanners, horrible color profiles for today's films, and lousy software and excruciating wait times on tricky-to-scan frames. You will also learn the virtue of patience and dedication that comes from taking six hours to scan 36 exposures halfway well.

Question: 3. Is there anything I am failing to see in the equation, or additional things I would need to buy other than just film?

Answer: You will need to buy lots of gasoline to go and buy film, bring it home, go out and shoot it, then drive it to the lab, drive home, then drive back to the lab to pick up your sub-par developing and printing work, and then gas to drive back home to see how the images you shot ten days ago came out. You will need a good loupe, negative or slide filing pages, notebooks, and a darkroom or film scanner, as well as a few other bits of miscellany. I shot film for 25 years or so...

2. Yes, working with film will help increase your experience and you will gain an appreciation for it. Notice I said working with film, and not just shooting it. If you really are interested in film, I suggest going all the way and learning to develop and print it.

I use my bad prints and test strips for collage work, which I incorporate into my photographs.

I have a Canon EOS 5d with several "L" glasses. A few months ago I purchased Canon EOS 1N. What a beauty! The 1N was the flagship top of the line professional Canon before it was replaced by the 1V and soon after everyone went digital. Talk about a cool keepsake...capitalize all the letters and you'll have it in the 1N. Cost was 270.00 USD.

Ty guys all for your input.

Shooting film does sound like a pain in the neck compared to shooting digital in many ways.

I think that I still want to get one though, since it will help expand my knowledge of photography in general a bit.

- Neil

Shooting film does sound like a pain in the neck compared to shooting digital in many ways.

More work and difficulty, yes, but I find it all very rewarding and enjoyable.

I think that I still want to get one though, since it will help expand my knowledge of photography in general a bit.
More than a bit, I think.

I second everything that Derrel says on this issue. Unless you are going to enter the darkroom and start printing to learn that process, which you can only do for B&W, there's really no reason to start down the film path. You won't learn anything about photography. The learning curve is so slow. you could learn in an afternoon with a digital what it might take you months in film. Just because you have the option of shooting 100 pics in a few seconds, changing settings, checking your results, etc, this is a POWERFUL learning tool, trial and error that is. If you really want to learn about photography digital is the only way to go. If you want to be some film elitist that says "I do film" for the sake of being able to say it then it's a good idea. But atleast shoot black and white, develop your own stuff. If you do color you're just shooting yourself in the foot because as soon as you take it to the lab it all becomes digital again, and therefore defeats the whole purpose.

You wanna shoot film?

Thats what i did. I picked up a MINT Nikon FE with new seal and foams for 75$ on ebay.
I bought 50 roll (some kodak BW400CN and Gold 200)of couple months old expired film for 40 $ that was well preserved in a fridge.

a brand new epson V500 for 100.

Make sure it doesnt cost your a fortune.

so i got everything around 250 $ with taxe.

before spending 2k on film equipement, make sure you have all the digital equipement you need

Most reactions

Back