some raws, c&c please!!!

Cybermg703

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some raws i shot with some new techniques i learned (well learning) from a photography book. Hope there not too bad!

img2217ar0.jpg

img2238rn7.jpg

No, they're not too bad. A few thoughts:

1. A nice composition and good use of selective focus to concentrate the eye on the main subject, however, I'd suggest that cropping closer to the actual water droplet.

2. Interesting, however in this case the composition isn't, IMO, ideal. I think that this might have been better by getting down lower and shooting toward the tortise (vice down from above), or opening up the field of view to include all of him.

3. Again this would be much better if the frog was looking at us. Fully understand in this kind of image you often have to take what you can get. I would suggest a tight crop to concentrate the eye on the frog, and eliminate the large, unfocused leaves image left and upper right.

4, 5. With flowers it's generally best to shoot down onto the blooms vice across them, and to compose so that a bloom or small group fills the frame.

Overall, good work. Your exposure and use of selective focus shows a good understanding of the technical side, just a little more work on the artistic side.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

I'll comment just because I know how annoying it is when no-one says anything, but I'm honestly clutching at straws a bit. Don't feel like I have too much to say.

Part of the problem is you have a few too many images. Better to do one, maybe a couple or a few in a series at most. It's a lot to comment on so many different images. Just a tip for the future.

In general, I think all the images have potential, but none of them floored me. The leaf and drop of water was nice, but not exciting. 2 was kind of neat, but might have been cropped a bit too much? Some sharpening might help. 3 might have been better from a different angle. I think the DOF was too shallow, IMO. 4 and 5 just didn't seem to work.

In general, I think you are being a bit overly aggressive on the depth of field... it's so shallow that it's a bit distracting. The compositions are mostly ok, but the subjects aren't that interesting so you need more of something to bring them out--- stranger angles, more interesting lighting... something.

All the shots could use a bit of contrast and sharpening work.

Still, you absolutely could have done much worse, and I think the leaf and turtle have a lot of potential. Keep at it.

thanks alot yeah im still also new working with p.s.cs3, thanks for all the comments

My favorite out of this series is #3, the one of the frog. I personally think this is a really neat picture, and I think the blurry leaves and POV from the rear of the frog help the picture. It almost gives you the feeling that you're sneaking up on him, and peering through the leaves at him.

All the rest are also very nice pictures imho, I would be proud to call any of them mine. However, I am very new to the photography thing, so my opinions at this point are still more from the casual observer standpoint than from a real photographer.

My favorite of the group is the first one; although I'd love to see it brighter & possibly in b&w.

I pretty much agree with everything tirediron said.

Thank you for posting your photos. :)

Most reactions

Back