1: White-Necked Jacobin
_MG_1640.jpg

2: Black-Throated Mango
_MG_1646.jpg

3: White-Necked Jacobin
_MG_1683.jpg

4: oops, wrong series ;)
_MG_2919.jpg

Three of the best Hummingbird pictures I've seen in quite some time. Perfectly exposed, and the compositions are all the same with the bird centered and the shallow DOF just works for me.

These are nice and colorful. Would love the chance to shoot some hummers like this some day.

I think with the 5DII you could have upped your ISO so you could double your shutter speed in the available light. You still wouldn't stop the wings, but more of the body movement would have been stopped making them appear sharper. #3 shows a hint of the sharpness you might have gotten in the white feather and feet area. I'm guessing you were pretty close with the 300 so that's why you were shooting at f7.1?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
These are nice and colorful. I think with the 5DII you could have upped your ISO so you could double your shutter speed in the available light. You still wouldn't stop the wings, but more of the body movement would have been stopped making them appear sharper. #3 shows a hint of the sharpness you might have gotten in the white feather and feet area. I'm guessing you were pretty close with the 300 so that's why you were shooting at f7.1?
Someone realised :) I agree I could have gone slightly higher with the ISO, but at that time I was still learning to make use of the advantages of the mk2!Going down with the f-stop was not really an option since I was fairly close to the birds, and they are pretty fast moving, so you would not get the focus 100% perfect many times. f/8 gives you some chance to breathe focus-wise.

#3 and #4 are amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back