Some zoo pics

ARe you uploading directly from Picassa to Flickr ?

I wouldn't downsize in camera, make use of all of those pixels.

ARe you uploading directly from Picassa to Flickr ?

I wouldn't downsize in camera, make use of all of those pixels.

Yes, that's what I was doing. But the ones on the new camera are HUGE. I'll start exporting into smaller sizes and then uploading. Will also check to see if I've done something in the settings to make them this big.

I've never used Picassa but there is probably a setting for limiting the size when sending to Flickr. Let me see what I can find out.

I know. Sorry, I worded that wrong. They weren't the raw file. My point is that one the D80, with large picture size, my jpegs were 2-3 mb max. They are much larger on this camera.

I have just as many megapixels as your D7100, and when I save jpgs at full quality at 2000px, they are still only 2MB tops. Not sure what you are doing to make jpgs so large. However, Flickr has a file size limit of 200MB for photos...

Ok do I have something set on the camera that is making them so huge? I'll have to go back to the manual and check. I've only had the camera since Friday so still a little lost on things. I checked the jpegs and they are all around 7-8 mb. Huge.

Is 7-8 considered "huge"?

awesome. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Great shots, Barb!

I don't use Picasa but it such a popular program, there is a plethora of info on it. Here are a couple links, but there are many others. If you prefer videos, I'm sure you will find a wealth of stuff on You-tube. The second link talks about a program from Flickr that apparently does what is needed for you. Lee

Resize Multiple Picture Files with Picasa - Selecting the Pictures to Resize

Resize Images for The Web - Scott Ellis

Thank you! I'm enjoying this camera immensely and reading the manual over and over. I'll get there.

Thanks for the links. Never had this issue before so got quite frustrated this morning.

I have just as many megapixels as your D7100, and when I save jpgs at full quality at 2000px, they are still only 2MB tops. Not sure what you are doing to make jpgs so large. However, Flickr has a file size limit of 200MB for photos...

Ok do I have something set on the camera that is making them so huge? I'll have to go back to the manual and check. I've only had the camera since Friday so still a little lost on things. I checked the jpegs and they are all around 7-8 mb. Huge.

Is 7-8 considered "huge"?

awesome.

According to flickr, yes. My D80 used to give me jpeg shots that were 2-3mb. Now I'm getting 8mb and up. I never had an issue before uploading and posting pictures. So either the camera is making them bigger or I've selected something in the settings.

I like # 6 also. #8 would be coold to see if you can maybe crop it and do a little pp. That pose needs to be seen better/closer :)

Oh - and you have a great new camera. Take your time learing it, smell it, feel it, enjoy the ride!!!!

Okay, I started counting the pics I really like, but kept loosing count. You should really save some for the later threads :p
I love #3,#5 & #7 from the 1st post.

The file size depends upon two things basically, the level of noise in the image & the resolution of it. However, I really don't think that 7-8 MB Jpegs are all that big for a 24 MP camera.

Nice shooting barb. Now I get to ask. How much do you love that Sigma?

I like # 6 also. #8 would be coold to see if you can maybe crop it and do a little pp. That pose needs to be seen better/closer :)

Oh - and you have a great new camera. Take your time learing it, smell it, feel it, enjoy the ride!!!!

Thank you. I wish we could have gotten closer but there was a very large crowd in front of the gorillas and nobody was moving on. We went back multiple times. They are indoors right now so we were shooting through the glass. Scott tried desperately to get pictures of mom and baby but with no success. I'm hoping we'll be back when they get moved outdoors. It's just too small an area to fight through the massive crowd.

Okay, I started counting the pics I really like, but kept loosing count. You should really save some for the later threads :p
I love #3,#5 & #7 from the 1st post.

The file size depends upon two things basically, the level of noise in the image & the resolution of it. However, I really don't think that 7-8 MB Jpegs are all that big for a 24 MP camera.

Aw that made me smile. Thank you. I will stop posting so many in one thread.

I didn't think it was that big either although I was surprised that it was so much larger than the D80. I think flickr might have been having issues this morning because none of them would upload. It just kept timing out.

Most reactions

Back