Somebody talk sense into me....

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok.. I need coping strategies, anybody want to help? LOL

I've been shooting with my D5000, (and it has been a BLAST to learn with!). And I'm working towards saving for the D700, primarily for the ISO capabilities and the full frame sensor. My goal is to save at least the majority of the cost on my own with my fledgling buisiness, but another part of me is just so eager to start learning with a more capable camera that I'm getting anxious!

I imagine I'm not the only one here who has felt antsy for new equipment ;) The thing is.... we *could* afford to invest in the camera now, although it would really be pushing our family finances more than I'm comfortable spending on myself and I just can't bring myself to ask my husband to agree. We've worked really hard the past few years to avoid extra expenses and be more responsible with our spending and saving.

Besides...I'm sure if I keep pushing I can find room to grow with the camera I have, though it is getting frustrating the more I learn...

So share your coping strategies! How do you make yourself listen to logic and wait (because the best things are worth waiting for, right? :lol:)

I don't think theres much to learn with a fancier camera. You would just have to learn where all the buttons are.

You need to build your technical abilities, to the point where you don't have to think much about what you are doing. To the point that your not repeatedly checking the LCD screen to see if the shot worked. You need to understand, know how to apply the theories of composition, and start learning how to go against them. Find and perfect your "style". You can do all of that with the camera you have.

What will the new camera give you? Faster continuous shooting? A full frame? Higher ISO capabilities?

Keep saving.

For image quality, better glass is the answer right now. (I don't know what your Nikon lenses are, quality wise) You can then use that better glass on the fancier camera.

I don't think theres much to learn with a fancier camera. You would just have to learn where all the buttons are.

You need to build your technical abilities, to the point where you don't have to think much about what you are doing. To the point that your not repeatedly checking the LCD screen to see if the shot worked. You need to understand, know how to apply the theories of composition, and start learning how to go against them. You can do all of that with the camera you have.

What will the new camera give you? Faster continuous shooting? A full frame? Higher ISO capabilities?

Keep saving.

Thanks bitter.. you expressed a lot of what the rational side of me keeps saying. I am getting to where I don't check the LCD much anymore at least, but I know there is still so much room to grow with what I have.

The only limitation I've *really* been feeling lately is the noise I get anywhere past ISO 400 on my camera....but at the same time this limitation forces me to think more about light. And lightroom is crazy at reducing noise (at the loss of some image quality albeit)...I need to keep pushing and saving, and maybe by the time I feel like I actually deserve/need this camera, the upgrade will be out right?

Geesh. How do you guys go through life with so much G.A.S.?

I've been putzing around with a Minolta SRT and a damn d40 and I'm as happy as a clam.

Um... I just looked at your site. You're not gonna like me.

BUY THE FREAKIN' CAMERA!

It looks to me like you're shooting fairly regularly. And you're doing a very nice job of it.

I suppose I should have looked for pricing while I was there, but I gotta believe you're getting enough for your work to take care of this rather quickly.

Besides... if you have just the one body, you really should get this soon.

I understand. My rule is never borrow money. Never. But I think you should order it today. This purchase will help solidify your business. And, it's not just so you can have a new toy. It's a tool you should have.

Don't hate me.

-Pete

BUY the D700. Full-frame results will elevate your work above the level of all the MWAC and GWC shooters on the market shooting crop-body...your pictures will "look better", and more-professional if you use a FF camera in social photography situations.

Have you ever noticed that people who can afford a Canon 5D-II, like one Salty Cobbler, often tell beginners to keep shooting a beginner's camera???

I have seen your work,and commented on it extensively...you are doing the exact type of work that the Nikon D700 and Canon 5D and 5D-II models are expressly designed for, the Nikon more so than the Canon.

With the D700, you could have access to 50 million Nikkor lenses, some of them designed expressly FOR 24x36mm capture, and expressly FOR portraiture, like the 105mm f/2 Defocus Control and 135 f/2 Defocus Control lenses. You would also have much,much better results indoors when shooting in front of seamless or muslin backgrounds.

If you want to get "serious" about people photography, you ought to join the ranks of serious shooters who are shooting on 24x36 digital sensor cameras, because there are some real, physical and optical reasons why those cameras produce better-looking results.

Here's a blog post I wrote entitled "How the DX Format Impacts People Photography". A lot of crop-body shooters hate to hear information like I delve into in this 5,000 word article. Buy a FF body. ASAP. You will not regret it.

Derrel's Photography Blog: How The DX Format Impacts People Photography

Christie and Derrel, can I tell my husband now that I've been advised by very seasoned professional photographers that it would be in my *and his* best interest to invest in this camera now, and get written, signed references????:lmao:

You two are terrible!

..But I do think you're right. I know deep down you're right, I just need to buisiness to take off a bit first. Having been a stay at home mom for eight years now with no income of my own I seriously have issues asking for the majority of this from our family finances.

I *do* charge enough to make this if I'm willing to save. The problem is I can't seem to find clients who can afford custom photography. I've had two people turn up their eyebrows at me and say "you charge WHAT???" even though they reallyyyyy wanted me to do pictures for them.

It's just hard for people right now, and even if I can give people pictures they love the simple fact is that if they can't afford it, they can't afford it.

All the pictures on my site have either been done for free, or next to nothing for people who took up my "portfolio building special" over the summer.

I have *one* client booked at regular prices..senior portraits in october...and I am determined to give this girl and her family the most amazing pictures I can.

More to think about..oye!!! I will talk to my hubby this evening about it some more. Don't worry...you can just fax your signed references ;)

Another vote for buying the full frame body if you can afford it. I wouldn't recommend going into debt you can't afford or straining the bank account to do it, but if you can pull off the upgrade comfortably you won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that the D700 is nearing the end of its life cycle. A new body will likely roll off the assembly line in the not to distant future.

If you don't need the latest and greatest gadget, waiting a few months for the successors announcement could save you some money when buying a D700. Once an announcement is made, people start dumping last years model in anticipation for the new model which drives prices down.

This might influence your decision, it may not. I just thought I would toss that out there.

Do you plan on buying new, used or refurbished?

Another vote for buying the full frame body if you can afford it. I wouldn't recommend going into debt you can't afford or straining the bank account to do it, but if you can pull off the upgrade comfortably you won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that the D700 is nearing the end of its life cycle. A new body will likely roll off the assembly line in the not to distant future.

If you don't need the latest and greatest gadget, waiting a few months for the successors announcement could save you some money when buying a D700. Once an announcement is made, people start dumping last years model in anticipation for the new model which drives prices down.

This might influence your decision, it may not. I just thought I would toss that out there.

That's another thing I've been keeping an eye out for.. But I've been told that less than two months after the D700 was originally release, people were already "anticipating the introduction" of its upgrade "any time soon" :sexywink:

Oh, and don't worry. I would NOT be considering this even halfway seriously if it was going to straing our finances too much or we had to go into debt. But we really have been working to save and I don't like the idea of setting us back for something that *I* need/want.
I would probably purchase new from B&H, I've had great experiences purchasing through them so far. I might consider used as well if I could find a good deal, but I don't want to take the body in for shutter repair too soon if it's seen a lot of use already.

I thought she wanted talked *out* of buying "right now".

*shrugs*

Go for it. You will absolutely love it!
You need to start networking, and get some good paying gigs.

I thought she wanted talked *out* of buying "right now".

*shrugs*

Go for it. You will absolutely love it!
You need to start networking, and get some good paying gigs.

:lol: I do want talked out of buying it.. But I'm also open to listening to reason.

I do admittedly have issues with making rash decisions and rushing into things. Thus far, they've always turned out to be good decisions and things I was very serious/passionate about..but I do want to be careful.

I appreciate both sides of the coin on this.

That's another thing I've been keeping an eye out for.. But I've been told that less than two months after the D700 was originally release, people were already "anticipating the introduction" of its upgrade "any time soon" :sexywink:
People can get a bit crazy with their predictions, but the D700 was released in Oct of 2008 I believe. The D3 was released in April of 2008 and we've already seen its refresh (D3S). So the D700 is probably going to get updated late this year or early next year if Nikon's past refreshes are a clue.

But I wouldn't let this be your primary deciding factor. If you've evaluated the D700 and it suits your needs, by all means buy a D700. I personally think it's one of the best full frame cameras ever built and it certainly will remain relevant for many years to come.

:lol: I do want talked out of buying it.. But I'm also open to listening to reason.
That's like going to a liquor store and asking patrons for advice on how to quit drinking. :D

I do admittedly have issues with making rash decisions and rushing into things. Thus far, they've always turned out to be good decisions and things I was very serious/passionate about..but I do want to be careful.

:lmao: I'm like that too.
But everytime I just say screw it, and make a frivolous purchase/decision, karma bites me in the ass. I still haven't learned. :p

Oh, and don't worry. I would NOT be considering this even halfway seriously if it was going to straing our finances too much or we had to go into debt. But we really have been working to save and I don't like the idea of setting us back for something that *I* need/want.
I would probably purchase new from B&H, I've had great experiences purchasing through them so far. I might consider used as well if I could find a good deal, but I don't want to take the body in for shutter repair too soon if it's seen a lot of use already.

Wow I just visited your website as well and your photos are amazing. People and portraits is what I want to get into and I don't know how long before I get to your level.

I don't know what your situation is like because we all have different lives but the D700 would be a great investment. Sooner or later you will replace your D5000, why not make it sooner to adjust to FF and be comfortable with it? You already have some Lens to start off with, you can just get the body. If money is an big issue, you can sell your D5000 body for some money that will help toward the D700. Although keeping the D5000 would be nice as a back up and other type of occasion. Think of it's as an investment, the quality of your photos will be better with the D700, which allow you room to raise a little on your charge. As for you thinking of the new D700 replacement, if money is a concern, the D700 replacement will be even more expensive. We have no idea when it's coming out either. Good luck with your decision!

Most reactions

Back