Someone please help me make this decision.

Terry Leach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, here is the deal. I am shooting a T2i, I have a kit lens that is a 28-90mm and another sigma 18-50. I have been flipping back and forth on a decision as to buy either a speedlite 430exii or a canon es-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Is. I just ran across someone that has both of these items forsale. They are less than 2 weeks old and never used. They want $200 for the flash and $250 for the lens. I have $300 in my pocket, which do I buy. I shoot mostly landscape and nature photography. Someone please help with this.

You already have two greatly overlapping lenses. If your SIgma is 18-50/2.8, I would buy a 55-250IS to complete it, not a 18-135.
If your Sigma is something with lower specs, perhaps you could take the 18-135 and sell both 28-90 (not much value) and 18-50. And buy also the flash.

However, price of the 18-135 is about half of the real price: I would be a little suspicious.

Yes the sigma is an f/2.8 and has been my main lens. Both of the items being sold are solid items. I know the seller very well. She is going through a hard time and is having to sell her equipment. I have a 580 exii speedlite that I borrow from a friend anytime I need and can continue to do so but you know how it is borrowing things. What I break it? Ouch!! So maybe I should go ahead and get the flash and worry about a lens later? This is a tough one.

That lens won't really give you much more range. I would recommend going for the flash, especially if you like to compose your landscapes with a scenic foreground element that you could add a bit of flash too.. If you think you'll use it, go flash, if not, look for a diFferent lens range. You could sell both your current lenses, and get the flash and the lens... Just a thought. And you could maybe get a 55-200 as well..

but you know how it is borrowing things.
My personal thoughts on borrowing stuff is that if you have to borrow it twice, you need to buy it. It sounds like you need the flash more than another lens.

Thanks for the help, I did go with the flash. I think I will also follow the "lens" advice on my next purchase. I have been trying to decide on what my next lens should be and I agree that it should probably be a 55-250 range.

Most reactions

Back