Someone's got EF 75-300MM for $100

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good deal? Found him on craiglist. Wanted $125 but said he'd settle for $100. I know I am getting the 70-300mm from dad's friend to use for a few months. Should I also purchase the one off craiglist for myself? Advice needed. Thanks guys!

nvm....read reviews its not all that. It's not the IS model so whatever.....hunt continues for a good deal

good call. I dont like that lens. I have the 70-300 with IS and its a really nice lens for the price. I upgraded to a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, which is in a different league. The kit lenses are all more or less crappy. They serve their purpose for entry level, but at least look for mid level stuff and up.

If you are serious about photography, lenses are often worth the price you pay for them

Thanks Big, that's what I figured.

I hope the lens that my dad's friend is letting me borrow isn't the same now that I think about it. I mean we talked about it over the phone yesterday and he wasn't home. He said "yeah it's 70-300mm" could easily be 75-300mm. There's a huge difference between the 2 lenses. He said he got it for $200. He's supposed to let me borrow that once my camera comes next week...now I'm very interested to find out what lens he's letting me borrow.

The 70-300 costs about $600 new. If he got it for $200, even used, thats sounding like either a 75-300 or a damn nice deal.

The 70-300 costs about $600 new. If he got it for $200, even used, thats sounding like either a 75-300 or a damn nice deal.

Yeah excited to find out. He's a very close family friend who also work w/ my dad so getting it from him, in his words "use it all you want, I use the other lens anyway and if I need it I'll borrow it for a few days" :thumbup:
He does more wedding photos and says he uses his 18-135mm lens mostly. Only got the other one for the 2008 election and haven't used it since :lol:

One thing, he gets most of his used items from another co-worker that works w/ him and my dad. Who's more advanced into it so he always gives him a good deal so I kindda believe him but still for $200, I have some doubts.

Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM = $175 another craiglister - MINT condition

18-135 for weddings? Wow... I guess he doesnt do alot of lower light church shooting as the variable aperture on that thing would be a pain, specially at the 135 end when its at 5.6. Either that or he uses flash or has a camera with very high ISO (which I doubt if he is using an 18-135 as its an EF-S, which means a 7D at the most). I've actually heard more negative reviews of this lens...its a medium level lens, but images are only nicely shart at f/8 - f/11

18-135 for weddings? Wow... I guess he doesnt do alot of lower light church shooting as the variable aperture on that thing would be a pain, specially at the 135 end when its at 5.6. Either that or he uses flash or has a camera with very high ISO (which I doubt if he is using an 18-135 as its an EF-S, which means a 7D at the most). I've actually heard more negative reviews of this lens...its a medium level lens, but images are only nicely shart at f/8 - f/11

Oh yeah, he doesn't do that for living at all and does small weddings during the weekend when he has time. He's using a D5 from what he said. He also uses 580ex for his speedlite. He said the reason he likes it because he barely uses high zoom but if he ever needed it for outdoor, he has the option to use the 135mm zoom. But for indoor wedding work, he doesn't like to zoom as he says the pictures don''t come out too good so why take the chance.

Is the 17-85mm good for $175 btw?

Thanks Big for helping me out, really appreciate it

Most reactions

Back