Sony A100

We're having this same argument on another forum. Someone made a good point.

Sony makes TV's, stereos, CD players, cameras and a plethora of other devices.

Nikon makes cameras, microscopes, telescopes and other lens based equipment.

Just an observation.

I agree with Soocom1 whole-heartedly. I had been using an EOS 10D and decided to move up, and to be honest I would not have bought the A100 if it were actually something Sony made.

This is a Minolta camera, not really Sony's creation...I bought it and am extremely happy with it. It does have a noise problem at 800 & 1600 iso speeds but not much more than my old camera, and most shots are still very usable at those speeds.

I can take 750 shots before having to stick another battery in, which is amazing! The biggest selling point for me was the anti-shake. It makes a huge difference...nice pictues even when I'm a little shaky.

I've seen a few people saying this is an entry-level camera...not a chance. It's a very capable DSLR and should not be shot down because of the brand name stuck on it.

Yep... I started this thread, when I didn't know what to buy.

I looked at the Sony, a few Canons, and a couple of others.
On paper I was always drawn to the Sony, because of its impressive spec., and functionality. I was only drawn to Canon because of their name, abundance of lenses and 'pro' connection (which are all well deserved).
However, comparing the Sony against the 400D & 350D, it is far superior to me from a build and spec perspective. I am happy with its results, and I believe it is neck-and-neck from a photographic results perspective (at least).

I think of it this way......
If the Sony had the Canon badge on it, I would have bought it long before I deliberated over which to buy.
If the Canon had the Sony badge on it, then I would have discounted it from my reckoning long ago.....
It was the (in my opinion) better spec of the Sony, versus the Canon name....

I bought the Sony, and am very happy with it.... Thats not to say the Canon isn't a very good camera, but the Sony is for me, for now.

Not to mention any Maxxum AF lens can be used with it...I had a film Maxxum SLR so I instantly had many of the lenes I needed :p There's a lot of them out there too, so no need to spend so much on those "Sony" lenses. Happy shooting!

Most reactions

Back