sony a300?

nightofviolencex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi guys. i recently found a ton of my grandfathers old camera stuff and came up on a nice collection of minolta autofocus lenses. lucky for me, they all fit the zony alpha series DSLRs. i was looking into buying the a300. i felt it today and it does feel pretty nice in my hands, and i did get to play around with it for a little while.

but the thing is i never see anyone discussing this camera and it doesnt seem to be very popular. ive had a lot of my friends involved in photography talk down on the series but cant really give clear reasons behind it.

can someone with the camera, or someone who has used it give me some feedback on the camera?

reasons im looking into it:
im getting a hell of a deal on it
already have multiple zoom lenses for it
has the live view screen flip out (i take paintball photos mostly. this gives me an opportunity to protect the camera a little more with my body instead of leaving it so vulnerable in font of my face.)
already understand the interface. sort of.

thanks. not all of my posts are going to be novels either.

It looks like a pretty good camera to me. 10.1Mpix, Image Stabilisation, live view using an independant sensor. Most of the reviews I've read are more than favourable to the 300.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A300/verdict.shtml

I'd say go for it, you've got all those lenses, shame not to use them. BTW, I've got Canon gear so I'm no Sony expert

If you've already got a collection of lenses, go for it. I personally am not a Sony fan but nothing significant wrong with them either. The a300 is a good body.

Sony is great. You'll love being able to use all of those old lenses on an Alpha camera.

Many Alpha users praise the Minolta 50mm f/1.7

The Sony Alpha is designed by the Minolta design people that joined Sony when Minolta got rid of its camera division.

I added the Sony A350 to my cameras and with several decades of pro experience I am familiar with cameras. I avoided the kit lenses and bought a Sony G lens: 70mm to 300mm and a Sigma 2.8 18mm to 50mm.
Both are excellent quality. At 50 feet for example I can clearly read letters that are only a couple of inches high. The Sigma lens will focus in macro almost to the front of the lens at any focal length.

The implimentation of live view is better than Nikon or Canon by a great deal in speed, autofocus, and no blackout. The noise stats at high ISOs are better than the Canon Xsi as well.

So by all means, the Sony Alphas are definitely good cameras worth considering and the A350 is certainly best for the money although some like the A300.

skieur

Many Canon or Nikon shooters talk down about other brands to make themselves feel better about paying too much and getting too little (mostly kidding).

In all seriousness, Sony makes a great DSLR, and if you already have some nice Minolta lenses then there's simply no question. Go for it.

The Sony Alpha is designed by the Minolta design people that joined Sony when Minolta got rid of its camera division.

I added the Sony A350 to my cameras and with several decades of pro experience I am familiar with cameras. I avoided the kit lenses and bought a Sony G lens: 70mm to 300mm and a Sigma 2.8 18mm to 50mm.
Both are excellent quality. At 50 feet for example I can clearly read letters that are only a couple of inches high. The Sigma lens will focus in macro almost to the front of the lens at any focal length.

The implimentation of live view is better than Nikon or Canon by a great deal in speed, autofocus, and no blackout. The noise stats at high ISOs are better than the Canon Xsi as well.

So by all means, the Sony Alphas are definitely good cameras worth considering and the A350 is certainly best for the money although some like the A300.

skieur

thanks for the real review. im thinking the a300 will be better for me since it has a faster FPS than the 350, and ill be taking action shots mostly.

but just for fun, heres my minolta lenses.
DSC01438.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

I just went over this in another thread:

FPS is not some kind of end all, be all for action.

Any DSLR, and I mean ANY can take action shots. I do it all the time.

im talking about action photos in a sequence like this.
blake.gif

i plan on making a lot of .gifs so i want the faster camera.

i have a sony a200 and i am in love with it!!!! i say go for it with th lenses you have access to and knowing how much i love mine,, i am sure you will kove yours too!!

The Sony SLRs are fine cameras and you have some great Minolta lenses.

Most reactions

Back