Sony A6000 or Nikon D5300 or ...

angshujit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I am new in this forum. I am going to buy my first interchangeable lens camera. I checked two cameras. One is mirror-less Sony A6000 and other is DSLR Nikon D5300. I have also checked Canon D750, but did not found much review on this.
  1. A6000 - How much I have seen so far, the image quality is very good. Very sharp images. But does not have much telephoto lenses (only available is 55-200). I need at least a 300mm lens. Low battery life.
  2. Nikon D5300 - No problem with lens and battery life. But I have seen some photo comparison in DPReview and found that the image quality is not as good as A6000. Less sharp, more noise.
  3. Canon D750 - did not get much review on this camera.
I will not be able to buy cameras frequently. So want to invest in a good camera which I may use at least for few years. Use of my camera -
  1. Travel
  2. Family functions
  3. Occasionally want go with friends for street photography.
Now my question is Which camera should I buy within this budget. Any one from the list or may be any other model.

Thanks in advance
Angshujit

Both very good but the d5300 has the advantage you require with lens availability. I'm surprised the a6000 has better image quality. I'd doubt this to be correct in real life shooting.

The d5300 may take a little more learning to master, the Sony is likely better at video and has faster fps. Unless these are necessary I'd go with Nikon for sheer amount of lenses and accessories available, both new and third party.

You asked about other models, it may be a slight improvement in user interface if you can afford the d5500 over the d5300 due it's touch screen, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker

Your #3 "Canon D750" is a typo
There is a Nikon d750 which is a much more expensive camera
I don't know which Canon is comparable but possibly the 700D
You also don't provide a total budget but the Nikon d5300 is very good and as mentioned the newer d5300.

I might be wrong but I think the D5300 and A6000 share same sensor thus image quality is about same.
I think just for lenses the D5300 already has the advantage.
It is a very good lens and thats what I would recommend to get even though the A6000 is a good camera too.

Thank you for your valuable replies. The other camera that I was mentioning is Canon 750D. This is released very recently along with one more model 760D.
Need to knwo whether I should go with D5300 or 750D.

Thank you for your valuable replies. The other camera that I was mentioning is Canon 750D. This is released very recently along with one more model 760D.
Need to knwo whether I should go with D5300 or 750D.

The 750d is commonly referred to here in the states as the Canon T6I. Of the two I prefer the Nikon, but keep in mind I'm a bit biased because I am a Nikon shooter myself. I like the Nikon's better dynamic range and more importantly, to me at least, is that they have much better low noise and high iso abilities, so if the lighting isn't always ideal you can bump up the ISO higher without having to worry as much about noise.

At the end of the day of course they are both very capable cameras, and your final results will be determined more on your skills and learning how to use the equipment than it will the equipment itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back