sony a77

suppyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
anyone have any pictures taken with the sony a77 in low light i cannot decide if i want to buy it considering a lot of my pictures will be taken with low light. and does anyone have any hdr shots with it.. using the cameras hdr i looked online but still cant decide

This might interest you: Light loss in A77 mirror exactly measured - Dyxum forums

Also if you're constantly shooting in low light, I have to imagine that you're sensor is going to be running relatively hot all the time since the A77 uses an EVF. To put out a useable 'view' (image) in lowlight, the gain is boosted... depending on just how low the light is, you could be pushing max gain all the time.

In b4 Sony Fanboys claiming otherwise.

Also, shooting in Low light will adversely effect the framerate of the EVF.

Also also, the noise performance at high ISO's is nothing to write home about, and you will need good ISO performance.

suppyx said:
anyone have any pictures taken with the sony a77 in low light i cannot decide if i want to buy it considering a lot of my pictures will be taken with low light. and does anyone have any hdr shots with it.. using the cameras hdr i looked online but still cant decide

Low light performance is not the a77 strength, but it is not bad as these clueless troll Howard and Tyler are saying. They don't know anything about the a77.

If you want the a77 to perform really good in low light, multi-frame noise reduction, and twilight mode (automatic only) will do the job. But if you really want a camera that is good in low light, there is an a580 which is good as the D7000, and trash every single APS-C of Canon. Canon aps cameras are not really great in Low light too :)

A77 EVF has no serious issue in low light, but make sure the a77 is running in 1.04 firmware. In extreme darkness, OVF becomes useless, in EVF you can still see things but EVF noise will be visible because of the signal boost, but that does not affect the photo that you are about to take.

Looking at the specs, the A77 will have a hard time focusing in low light if there is not a high-contrast area.

Generally, most modern DSLRs have USEABLE high ISO settings. Some are better than others, but the performance is in direct correlation to price so it all depends on what you're looking for.

The EVF will also give a fairly poor image in the viewfinder as well, if it's like any EVF I've seen before, just like Live View in low light gives inaccurate results until the shutter actuates.

Old Chevy by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

One for Daisy by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Sunrise on Black Friday by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

One Headlight by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Even though some of these were flashed I can no doubt tell you the a77 will focus fast and accurate in very dark situations, way beyond my expectations. I manual focus on most of my landscapes because I trust my eyes better than any AF system but YES it will focus in very low light. The NEX 7 as well. I do most all my work in the dark. This and the D7000 are the two best Prosumer cameras on the market only the full frames boys do better. Put your fears to rest. If you want a good camera get a a77, D7000 or NEX 7.

Last edited:
Looking at the specs, the A77 will have a hard time focusing in low light if there is not a high-contrast area.

Generally, most modern DSLRs have USEABLE high ISO settings. Some are better than others, but the performance is in direct correlation to price so it all depends on what you're looking for.

The EVF will also give a fairly poor image in the viewfinder as well, if it's like any EVF I've seen before, just like Live View in low light gives inaccurate results until the shutter actuates.

This is NOT true. Both EVFers on my a77 and NEX 7 produce such good results in normal light you will have to re check the specs to make sure you are really looking at a digital image. Only in low light does the finder get grainy. But with the focus peaking being in the finder it makes manual focusing better than any split screen finder I have ever used. Even in low light and better then a OFVer. I have used a lot of cameras over the last 30 years.

The NEX 7 uses a red beam to focus. As long as the beam can hit what you are aiming at it will focus. I used it last night shooting a ballet and I could see the red beam hitting the back of the stage with the lights off and the camera focused with no hunting. I was about 60 ft from the back of the stage.

These are at 6400ISO

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

A77 focusing is NOT based on contrast but rather phase detection.

I don't find that most modern DSLRs have useable high ISO settings at all. I would not use any DSLR above 1600 ISO and it should not be necessary for most pro shooting.

You have a real problem trying to compare the Sony EVF to any EVF you have seen before. You have NOT seen an OLED viewfinder. You have not seen the high resolution of the Sony viewfinder. It is NOT at all like live view and you have NOT seen Sony Live View to compare it to what you have seen.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back