Sony Alpha a6000 worth it to buy now?

ahmeds6221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm an amateur photographer and was looking into mirrorless cameras. The reviews and price were great for the sony a6000, so I bought an open box on best buy today.

I'm not sure if I made the best decision...
- is $600 total worth it for an open-box best buy a6000?
- are there are other affordable mirrorless cameras that are better?

Please reply asap - I am going on a trip to Cuba next week and would like to make a purchase ASAP.

Thanks.

I'm guessing it was $600 for the camera and lens? If so, yes. It has a stellar sensor for a camera of that size and weight. It's come down in price because it's a few years old now, but it's still one of the best in its price range. It's a great vacation camera.

I was seriously considering adding the a6000 and did a lot of research. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because I am heavily invested in Nikon equipment and didn't want to add an all new system. I don't think you can go wrong with the a6000. It is still a great camera even though it is a little dated. $600 for the a6000 with the 16-50mm lens is about right for an open box as long as it has full warranty. I've seen it for about $650 on some of the reputable web retailers. You may eventually feel limited by the 16-50mm lens. To me, it is a little short on range.

Somewhat like dunfly's situation, I seriously considered adding the a6000. However, I actually pulled the trigger. Generally, I'm happy I did. I'm heavily invested in Canon. Sony (and by accidental association, Metabones) is really going after the Canon users by supporting Canon lenses on Sony bodies. And Canon didn't have a usable ILC option (until recently).

I've taken my a6000 all over the country traveling. I really like the small size and compactness. I have three lenses for the a6000: the kit 16-50, the extended kit 55-210, and a 12mm f/2.

I find that the 16-50 is great for travel photography. I don't tend to shoot a lot of long distance stuff, so the 55-210 doesn't see much action. But it's so small, I don't mind having it with me. I haven't yet even used the 12mm lens once... :( I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

I eventually picked up a (Canon) M5 as a (maybe?) replacement for the Sony. They're both great systems for different reasons. I had to spend quite a bit more for the M5 setup, but I got better compatibility with a bunch of lenses that I have.

The Sony is less expensive and really does a lot. You could spend time worrying about various features that any given camera doesn't have. But that rarely is worthwhile. Many times, the "missing" features are things that we don't even use or actually need. Getting caught up in spec sheets is a great way to get bummed out.

From my experience with a couple of systems, I think you got a very good deal. Let go of the doubts, enjoy Cuba, and get out there and shoot!

Price wise, you didn't get burned, you did OK. Is the a6000 the perfect camera for you? Only you can answer that question. I'm happy with mine.

Hi,

I'm an amateur photographer and was looking into mirrorless cameras. The reviews and price were great for the sony a6000, so I bought an open box on best buy today.

I'm not sure if I made the best decision...
- is $600 total worth it for an open-box best buy a6000?
- are there are other affordable mirrorless cameras that are better?

Please reply asap - I am going on a trip to Cuba next week and would like to make a purchase ASAP.

Thanks.

I shoot with this camera and it's definitely worth picking up.... like any camera body it's going to depend on what lens you use as well, I say go for it.

a6000 is a good camera, its week stop is the not so impressive kit lens which got pretty unimpressive reviews, with the right lens the a6000 is actually a nice camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back