Sony announces A900 (Full-Frame)

I

Iron Flatline

DP Review Announcement

Key features

• 24.6 MP 35mm format full-frame CMOS sensor (highest res in class)
  • SteadyShot INSIDE full frame image sensor shift stabilization (world first)
  • High Speed Dual Bionz processors
  • Eye-level glass Penta-prism OVF, 100% coverage, 0.74x magnification
  • 9 point AF with 10 assist points, center dual-cross AF w/2.8 sensor
  • 5 frames per second burst, newly developed mirror box
  • Intelligent Preview Function
  • 3 User programmable custom memory modes on mode dial
  • Advanced Dynamic Range Optimizer (5 step selectable)
  • 40 segment honeycomb metering
  • 3.0" 921K pixel Photo Quality (270 dpi) LCD display, 100% coverage
  • Direct HDMI output
  • ISO 200-3200 (ISO 100-6400 expanded range)
  • User interchangeable focusing screens (3 options)
  • CF Type I/II and MS slots, LI-ION battery, STAMINA 880 shots
  • Weight 850g (without battery, card, accs)
  • New Image Data Converter SR software (includes vignetting control)
  • New Vertical Grip
  • Supplied with wireless remote control
  • Magnesium Alloy body and rubber seals for dust and moisture resistance
  • AF micro adjustment
  • $2999.99 body price; available late October 2008

Depending on real-life performance, the price of the thing might give Nikon and Canon something to think about...

I think its only problem is a limited range of lenses from sony (especially in the longer focal lengths) As for the body on its own, both its features and price are looking very good and will certainly give Nikon and Canon a bit of rethinking to do ( especially Nikon since they are using sony sensors anyway - why buy an expensive nikon when you can get a cheaper sony with the same sensor?)

If sony widen their lens range they could become a very serious contender to nikon and canon
*wishes for cheaper canon bodies*

I will definately have to keep an eye on that baby. I've been very happy with my Sony A100, and since I already have Sony accessories. . . :headbang:

I love my a100, can't wait to read the review once it gets in peoples hands.

This has been a very exciting year in the photographic equipment industry...and it keeps getting better. :popcorn:

It's $3 grand because I'm guessing it's going to be plastic fantastic like the A700, and not sealed.

It really surprises me that it's ISO base is at 200. That just made sure that any small format studio shooters wont' be using it, and will be keeping their 1Ds MkIII's.

It doesn't mention anything about weather sealing, so maybe you're right Sw1tch.

Doesn't it?
Its construction features rugged, lightweight magnesium alloy with moisture-resistant, rubber seals for buttons and dials

especially Nikon since they are using sony sensors anyway - why buy an expensive nikon when you can get a cheaper sony with the same sensor?
I suppose this may be true if we're speaking strictly about dSLR bodies. But the Sony system (lenses, flashes, accessories) still isn't on par with Nikon or Canon.

Not to mention the proprietary hot-shoe....:confused:

Just from reading the specs, it looks excellet, only thing I dislike is the AF points

Not a lot of AF points. Not terribly fast, but you know...it's 24+ mp. But, I mean, it doesn't really sound all that great except the sensor, haha. But, it's nice to see Sony pumping out a more professional body. Should be interesting to see if Nikon borrows the sensor for their next FX body. Nikon would probably want better ISO though.

Most reactions

Back