Sony CyberShot DSC-H1 vs Panasonic DMC-FZ20

DLL_4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.studio409.ca
I convinced my parents earlier today to pay half for a new camera... the other half, i will pay, once i get money in 1 or 2 weeks from now...
Anyways, i'm looking at these 2, and cant really tell which one i want...

the Sony CyberShot DSC-H1
3q-001.jpg

or the Panasonic DMC-FZ20
fz20-3q-001.jpg

They both offer pretty much the same features (12x optical zoom, image stabilizer, 5 to 5.1MP, etc.) The Sony camera is a much newer model though (released in July 2005, while the Panasonic was released in Nov. 2004). Im not sure how important that is... but anyways.. they both roll around the same price range..
So, which one do you think would be a better choice?

I would personally go for the Lumix... Maybe that's just me... Although the Sony has a setting that you can take pictures in the dark, I don't really think its nesesary.

I know the sony one is supposed to be good, I was going to get it.

The Lumix one seems to have a manual focus ring which would be good.

In a recent shootout in Which Digital Camera magazine the Sony won and the Pana came second, but there was literally only about one point in it. They offer near identical features, so handle both and go with the one you like the feel of.

Rob

They did say pretty much that - the Sony is a touch brighter and has some night features and it runs on ordinary sized batteries (which is a double-edged sword) and is perhaps more solid than the Pana.

Rob

hmm.. damn.. i have to buy a new memory card.. oh well.. it'll be worth it!
I have decided between the 2 cameras. I will get the H1 :) It has more features that i like, and i think it looks better too!
Oh man.. the problem now is just waiting for it!!!

I personally have the sony and I have had it for two years (the DSC-F717) and I have loved it. My sister purcahsed the sony you are interested in for chirstmas and she loves it. THe LCD is much larger than mine and it takes beautiful pictures. I have had really good luck with mine, had no problems at all. I did muy a memory card at walmart for like $90 when I got it. It works great, I have had no problems with it. It holds a TON of pictures. I also wanted to tell you if your parents are into camping, get the sony beucase we have used the night shot on mine a lot for picutures around the camp fire and such!

/\ thats one of the reasons i decided to go with it (the sony) .. i do a lot of architectual photography, and i want to take a lot of night photos, but with the camera i have now, it isnt really worth it since most of the photos turn out too dark/ugly.. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back