Sony DSLR A230 + eBay + DYING SENSOR?!?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, So I've been on the lookout for a good deal for a DSLR for awhile. I found one, or so I thought. Browsing eBay on my iPod I did not see that the Sony A230 was listed unde "for parts or broken." However, the seller tells me it still works, but he took it to a pro shop who said the sensor may be dying, and the lens is a little jammed. I won the auction, but did not notice these flaws until after I won. I have since paid and am waitig for the camera to be shipped to me. My question is, can I replace the dying sensor? Is there a cheap way to fix or replace it? Thanks

To replace the sensor will cost what the camera cost new, just throw it away when it packs in i dought it cost you much to buy

To replace the sensor will cost what the camera cost new, just throw it away when it packs in i dought it cost you much to buy

It cost me $100 :/

It cost me $100 :/

It would cost you much more to replace it! I have heard some horror stories about Sony and Non-Warrantied equipment! (for that matter.. I have heard horror stories about the Sony warrantied equipment!)

EDIT: wow! B&H has refurbed units with a lens for $300.00. Your really got burned! Used Sony Alpha A230 Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens DSLRA230LRB

Sony's war on consumers aside you won't know what you have till you get it.

A pro saying the sensor may be dying ... really? Either its dying and causing problem images or it's not.
Also lens jamming doesn't mean much either. What is that, focus problem? If it's just slow to focus that's a minor issue. If the aperture blades refuse to close on the other hand that is quite the conundrum which can cause the camera to produce widely inconsistent images.

Okay, well I got the camera. Images have a problem with exposure. I have the aperture, etc., set up correctly, I've also tested it on auto mode, but it consistently produces faulty images. As for the lens, it simply will not zoom, it's seems to be stuck or broken is all, so I'm stuck at 18mm. However, I think I'm just going to sell the camera as I have since purchased a new Nikon D5100.

Most reactions

Back