Sony emount lense 35mm 1.8

Cahaba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been researching which prime lense I should get for my Sony a6000 I'm thinking about the Sony emount 35mm 1.8
My question is will this lenses let in enough light for indoor low light situations to take pictures of my dog she is solid black without using a flash?
Does it work good for fast moving subjects indoors and or out without using a flash?
Thanks in advance

This is my favorite lens for my a6000. I have 4 lenses altogether, but the 35 1.8 is the one that almost never comes off my camera.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a way to answer your question. I'm not in your house and I can't see what your lighting situation is. This lens will certainly do better than the kit lens in low light. It auto focuses faster than the other lenses both indoors and out. But I can't guarantee that it will do everything you hope it will because I'm not there. Whether or not you can get the shot depends on exactly how much light there is, how fast the subject is moving, and how much skill you have in choosing the correct settings and planning the shot.

Honestly, I think you might need a flash like the HVL-f32m. I've found that to be far more useful in indoor low light situations. But if for whatever reason you can't use the flash, this lens will get you the best possible chance at getting the shots you want. I don't think there's anything that opens wider or focuses faster, so if you can't get good shots with this lens then you either need to add light (flash) or study more techniques.

The lighting is normal lights in the room. and yes I do need to learn more about manual settings for this camera I like to take spur of moment shots of my dog so I have it set on auto everything burst mode but found that in the home if my dog is movingI have a blur if the dog is steady lighting is good but when I use flash he eyes glow
I will check out the flash device thank you

With the a6000, you can bend the pop-up flash backwards so that it points toward the ceiling when you take the picture. This is called "bouncing the flash" and will allow you to add more light to the room. Doing this might be enough for your needs. If not, then purchasing a flash and pointing that at the ceiling is your best bet.

You should also try to learn how to take pictures in Shutter Priority mode. There are plenty of tutorials online. Maintaining a fast shutter speed, combined with the bounced flash, will make a big difference.

I'm not sure the settings on your a6000, but try this.

Figure out a good shutter speed that freezes your dog enough for you when they move. (I'd guess 1/200 sec). Choose an aperture that will get them enough in focus (maybe f4 to start). Set these 2 in your manual mode setting and select auto iso. Your camera will then adjust to get these settings and a proper exposure. Try this with your kit lens first, you may not need a new lens, adjust settings as necessary

This is my favorite lens for my a6000. I have 4 lenses altogether, but the 35 1.8 is the one that almost never comes off my camera.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a way to answer your question. I'm not in your house and I can't see what your lighting situation is. This lens will certainly do better than the kit lens in low light. It auto focuses faster than the other lenses both indoors and out. But I can't guarantee that it will do everything you hope it will because I'm not there. Whether or not you can get the shot depends on exactly how much light there is, how fast the subject is moving, and how much skill you have in choosing the correct settings and planning the shot.

Honestly, I think you might need a flash like the HVL-f32m. I've found that to be far more useful in indoor low light situations. But if for whatever reason you can't use the flash, this lens will get you the best possible chance at getting the shots you want. I don't think there's anything that opens wider or focuses faster, so if you can't get good shots with this lens then you either need to add light (flash) or study more techniques.

Please explain why you like the 35mm 1.8 so much

For me, it's a very natural focal length. When I see something I want to take a picture of and then bring the camera up, it already feels framed correctly. With 50mm, I usually have to take a few steps back, and with something like a cell phone or the kit lens, I usually need to zoom in or get closer. With the 35mm, I don't have to think as much about framing...I guess my brain just naturally sees things at about that focal length.

And the lens itself is great. It's small, it's light, and it just looks like it was made for that camera. It's the perfect size. The image quality is great too. It's sharp, it autofocuses quickly, and I love being able to open up all the way to 1.8. Really, there's nothing bad about the lens at all, except maybe that it's pretty expensive! But that's because Sony understands that photographers replace cameras all the time, but keep lenses forever. So they make cameras cheap and lenses expensive, and to be honest, I'm okay with that.

For me, it's a very natural focal length. When I see something I want to take a picture of and then bring the camera up, it already feels framed correctly. With 50mm, I usually have to take a few steps back, and with something like a cell phone or the kit lens, I usually need to zoom in or get closer. With the 35mm, I don't have to think as much about framing...I guess my brain just naturally sees things at about that focal length.

And the lens itself is great. It's small, it's light, and it just looks like it was made for that camera. It's the perfect size. The image quality is great too. It's sharp, it autofocuses quickly, and I love being able to open up all the way to 1.8. Really, there's nothing bad about the lens at all, except maybe that it's pretty expensive! But that's because Sony understands that photographers replace cameras all the time, but keep lenses forever. So they make cameras cheap and lenses expensive, and to be honest, I'm okay with that.

You have it on Autofocus? and focus meter set how?

I use spot metering. I've also enabled back button focus, which takes a little getting used to but is much better. There are some YouTube videos about how to set it up on the a6000 if you're interested. It's really good for when you're trying to take pictures of objects that stop and go, then stop and go again. For me, that's my kids, for you, your dog.

Thank you so much
I think I have mine set on Center at the moment need to find where the Back focus is more about that. yes thank goodness for YouTube it has been my goto for info

I think this is the video I used to set it up:

It's worth trying for a week or two...it does take a little time to adjust, so don't get frustrated and change it back right away. But if you use it consistently for awhile and still don't like it, it's easy enough to change back. :)

I use the back button feature, awkward at first but now I find it much easier

Thank you so much
I think I have mine set on Center at the moment need to find where the Back focus is more about that. yes thank goodness for YouTube it has been my goto for info
I found the Gary Fong video very helpful in setting up the a6000.

Most reactions

Back