Sony In-Camera-Gamma-Adjustment Can Change RAW

Discussion in 'Sony Cameras' started by VidThreeNorth, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM.

1. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is something that you can probably ignore for the rest of your life, or it might affect your camera usage tomorrow. Apparently, changing the "Gamma" in "Picture Profiles" CAN change your RAW file. This might prove a useful way to optimize the use of your camera, or it might be something you will want to avoid. At this point, I don't know which. But at the least, it is good to be aware of it:

"YES, Sony Picture Profiles DO Change Raw Photos!", posted Mar 2, 2019 by "Gerald Undone"

2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    His methodology is suspect. You don't look to see the condition of a raw file by loading it into a raw converter, especially not LR. Also suspect would be that he changes his premise from the beginning of the video to the end. Just after 1:00 minute his premise is: "but they do, they definitely do" picture profiles change the raw files which is likewise noted in the video title. Then at 9:00 minutes his premise has become, "Changing the gamma changes the way the raw is developed." That is in fact an entirely different claim and very possibly an entirely different process. Does changing the gamma in picture profiles cause a Sony camera to write a different raw file? There's really no answer to that question in the above video.

Joe

3. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right about the discrepancy between what he says at the start of the video and the end. I think he realized that he did not know if the difference was the contained image data or just a "header parameter". More investigation needs to be done.

Still, it is an important issue and I appreciate the report even with its shortcomings. He has definitely "found something", and because it contradicts what he had said before, it was a good idea to post at least this much for now -- pointing out that there is "something going on" that might affect camera usage. I see it as "acting responsibly" rather than ignoring an error he made in the past, or even "putting off the report" till he understood it more completely.

Beyond that, is the question of which models does this affect? I checked my (bottom of the line) a5000 and it does not have this capability.

What about other brands of cameras? Does something similar happen with Nikon, etc?

4. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

That's right and I think he started to change his language because he was starting to suspect it could just be a flag in the header. And he went on to say if so that doesn't matter but it does, flags in the header don't change the underlying raw data. I don't know about this case. I have a Sony camera at work but not at home so I'm not going to pursue it. Other cameras definitely place flags in their raw file headers that LR and C1 honor -- my Fuji does. That's why you can't do a test like this with LR. This is what Raw Digger is for.

If in the past he went public claiming the profiles had no effect on the raw files and now he's making a correction that's good -- as you say "acting responsibly." Now he needs to get a little more competent. I've encountered him previously as my students get info off Youtube and bring it to me. Unfortunately I've encountered him spreading error.

Joe