Sony NEX 5 lens advice! Plzzz help!

andynex5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i'm hoping to get some good advice here. I enjoy taking pictures and i'd like to start learning about photography. I've only owned point and shoots and i'm gonna buy the Sony NEX 5 this week.

I don't know any technical terms and i'm hoping to learn more things once i get that camera and eventually move to a DSLR in the future.

Well, my question is the Sony Nex 5 comes with 2 lenses i.e a 16 mm and an 18mm.

Considering money is not a problem, i'm willing to buy both lenses but i don't know what i'll need the lenses for. When will i use the 16mm or the 18mm.

What are the situations, where i'll need to use those lenses. I read that the 18mm is a zoom lens. But does that mean there's no zoom on the pancake lense?

I'll be taking pictures of landscape and portraits, mostly holiday pictures.

Should i get both lenses?
What are the use of each lense?

Please help! Thank you!

"...standard 18-55mm f/3.5-6.3 lens with Optical SteadyShot, and the second is a 16mm f/2.8 pancake prime lens."

The 18-55 would be your standard lens for most situations. The 16mm (24mm equivalent) is a moderate wide-angle, and, IMO, of rather limited use.

he can use other Sony lenses but i dont remember if you needed an additional mount or not

Most reactions

Back