Sony RX100 Mk2 vs Nikon D800

TordFuglstad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I know that the D800 is way better. But would the RX100 Mk2 be a good small camera for taking around all the time when I'm used to working professionaly? Is it as good as people say?

Would love a fast response. Going shopping tomorrow.

Not sure how the title of the post is connected to your question.

RX100 MkII is a good camera but has a very slow lens 1.8-4.9
I would recommend the Sony RX100 MkIII which has a 1.8-2.8 fast lens, I think its well worth the price difference.

Get the RX100 III. The faster lens is absolutely worth the price and you get a viewfinder!

I'm with goodguy and nerwin—the RX100 III is a significant upgrade over the II for the lens, so that's a better choice. If it's too expensive, you should also look at the Canon G7 X, which is only slightly more expensive than the RX100 II in the US.

Just for the record, I would disagree.

I would prefer having 100mm at f4.9 for having a bit more range over having a completely pointless and useless 70mm at f2.8 on a sensor thats far too small for any noteworthy limited depth of field / zone of sharpness anyway.

Meaning I would prefer the RX100 Mk 2 over the Mk 3.

Well, if I was into such small sensor cameras, anyway.

I would prefer having 100mm at f4.9 for having a bit more range over having a completely pointless and useless 70mm at f2.8 on a sensor thats far too small for any noteworthy limited depth of field / zone of sharpness anyway.

I forgot to mention the RX100 III's lens goes down to 24mm-equivalent, while the II only goes to 28. That's a significant-enough difference for me…

Why can't you walk

I picked up the Sony RX100iii last May for those times I want to travel light and am very happy with the camera. My primary use was video, but have found I like it for photos too. It is very slick and I almost dropped it the first day. I think you can buy a grip type stick on thing, but I purchased the case.

So I ended up buying the Panasonic LX100! Such a great camera. Bigger sensor and better manual controls. It's a bit bulkier, but for me it's a lot smaller than my D800, which was the point of getting a compact camera.

So I ended up buying the Panasonic LX100! Such a great camera. Bigger sensor and better manual controls. It's a bit bulkier, but for me it's a lot smaller than my D800, which was the point of getting a compact camera.
Congrats, heard good things of this camera, bigger sensor and fast lens, good combination.
Enjoy

Most reactions

Back