Sony's Game Plan in A7 and A7r Lenses?

yes...but gsgary....how many lenses will you be carrying?
Ideally one. Usually two. Maybe three. Frankly, if you carry around more than four lenses, you're very likely having some sort of a glaring redundancy.

Right now I have a 28mm f1.8 and a 70-200mm f4 IS with me. Two lenses, enough flexibility for anything.

A setup I love is having nothing but a 28mm or nothing but a 50mm. One perspective only. Very liberating.

If I really need a lot of variance, I'll get my 16-35mm, 50mm and 70-200mm. The only thing still missing at that point would be a macro lens.

I never carry all my four lenses. Its simply too redundant. At some point in the future (probably soon) I plan to get a second body (probably a Nikon D750) and then I'll save a lot of lens changes as well.

If I would ever switch to Sony FE (I dont think it will happen, but in case it does), I would get the 35mm f1.4 (at least if Steve Huff is right and this reaches or even beats even the famous Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4 FLE), the 90mm macro (at least if its also good) and hopefully a 21mm thats at least as good as the famous Fuji 14mm (which is a 21mm equivalent because Fuji X cameras use APS-C).

I'd imagine the OP has either found a lens or given up on the A7 by now (let's hope not!!) but, in case he's still looking, for his needs, the A mount 24-70/2.8 with an adaptor might be his dream lens. It's a Zeiss lens that gets mostly very good reviews:
Amazon.com Sony 24 -70mm f 2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras Camera Lenses Camera Photo
Might want to upgrade the lens mount for this monster lens though... I know a quicker zoom would be big, but it's still too bad the only FE standard zooms out are f/4 :blue:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If I really need a lot of variance, I'll get my 16-35mm, 50mm and 70-200mm. The only thing still missing at that point would be a macro lens.

This is my exact plan as well. I picked up the A7 II and the 16-35 already. I don't see myself needing much more than the 55 and the 70-200, but we'll see.

Most reactions

Back