Sony's Game Plan in A7 and A7r Lenses?

sonicbuffalo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what lenses Sony expects us to use until they get lenses produced for the A7 and A7r line? I want to use auto focus lenses, and I don't think I'm asking too much.

Whats wrong with manual focus lenses,
Voigtlander 50mmF1.5 asph M mount and Voigtlander close focus adapter, lens wide open at F1.5 and close up fully out

DSC01096b%2Bw-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice picture and focus, but I would like auto focus and zoom, not a prime. Primes are very limiting for my style of photography. Very good image though!

The 55mm and 35mm are good lenses that auto focus, im not sure Sony will make many zooms for this camera because it shines with primes, what is your style ?

I like landscapes, and have taken some portraits (used a Sigma 105 f/2.8) when I had my Nikon gear. I also like urban landscapes and good old buildings and cars. I have taken car shows where I needed the zoom to eliminate the peepers.....didn't want them hogging the scene.

$DSC_0273.jpg

I was wondering what lenses Sony expects us to use until they get lenses produced for the A7 and A7r line? I want to use auto focus lenses, and I don't think I'm asking too much.
You can use almost any lens in existence with the Sony A7 Series of cameras. I use Canon, Minolta, Pentax, M42 and T2 lenses. There are several good automatic adapters available; although, I will admit autofocus is slow through an adapter.

I have one Sony lens, the 28-70mm kit lens for the A7, that works well as a general purpose lens on the A7 and A7S. Probably marginal on the A7R but still quite usable.

bwa

Dear Bwa....,

Yes, I realize that you can use almost any type of lens with the A7, but first, I would want full frame, and second, don't want to lug a behemoth of a lens, and thirdly, I don't won any of those lenses you mentioned, and don't want to invest in anything that's not an A7 native lens. I guess I'll be waiting. I am planning on buying the 70-200 mm f/4 Soney FE lens though, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for your comments though...I do appreciate the response.

Dear Bwa....,

Yes, I realize that you can use almost any type of lens with the A7, but first, I would want full frame, and second, don't want to lug a behemoth of a lens, and thirdly, I don't won any of those lenses you mentioned, and don't want to invest in anything that's not an A7 native lens. I guess I'll be waiting. I am planning on buying the 70-200 mm f/4 Soney FE lens though, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for your comments though...I do appreciate the response.
The lenses I use on my A7 will be about half the size of the ones you will use

Dear Bwa....,

yes...but gsgary....how many lenses will you be carrying? I only want to carry a few. I might be wrong on that....but anyways, what lenses do you usually carry? Thanks!

Dear Bwa....,

yes...but gsgary....how many lenses will you be carrying? I only want to carry a few. I might be wrong on that....but anyways, what lenses do you carry usually? Thanks!
28mm, 35mm, 50mm all fast lenses and super sharp, 35 on A7, 50 on Leica M4 and 28 on M4-P

gsgary....sounds like you're a prime lens photog. Nothing wrong with that as they most likely take sharper, crisper, photos. I like sharp, crisp zooms. They're just harder to find. Plus cost a lot more when you do find them.

I have the 55mm 1.8 lens which I love. I had the 35mm but the quality wasn't as good when I compared shots so i sold it. Manual focus lenses work great too because of the peaking function that turns the edges a color when in focus and also the ability to magnify the image.

I know a guy on another forum that just bought the 55 f/1.8. He had been drooling over that lens. He bought the lens first (he's a Nikon shooter as well), and just bought and is waiting on the alpha7 ii

Don't you just love it when you ask a question and you get answers telling you that you should be wanting something else. Sony has 4 current mounts to support. e mount crop frame, e mount full frame, a mount crop frame and a mount full frame. Best choice for you right now would be to get a LA-EA4 adapter which allows you to mount Sony A mount lenses on your A7. Unlike other adapters that are manual focus only, the LA-EA4 supports all the automatic functions of Sony a mount lenses. This will give you access to all the Sony A-mount auto-focus lenses. I know that this is a sloppy solution but is what we are stuck with until Sony decides what direction it wants to go in. I think there must be an inner corporate conflict between the mirrored and the mirrorless divisions of their camera/lens division. I personally don't think A mount will survive.

Amazon.com : Sony LA-EA4 E-Mount to A-Mount Full-frame Adapter : Camera & Photo

Full-Frame A-Mount Lenses - Lenses Sony Store - Sony US

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back