sooo Im back with a DSLR

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to post fairly regularly on here, but i ran out of places to go with my ld point and shoot so I didnt have any new pics to share and coming on the forums was making me want a dslr before I could afford it :)

I finally bought a canon 30d DSLR, It arrived three weeks ago and Im trying to get the hang of it!

Here are a few pictures let me know what you think, they are not perfect, but pointers would be great. I have lots more pics, but as I have a guest I have been shooting, downloading and not editing or converting to JPEG's so I have lots to edit.

My main thing Im stuggleing with his the weight difference, I find it hard to keep my camera steady. is it very apparent in these pics? I have been editing an dviewing through a laptop so I cant really tell.

1 (daytime)
2463406104_00007cba04_b.jpg

2 (Nighttime)
2458516266_a23472b1d2_b.jpg

Weight (very dependent on what lens(es) you end up using) can be an issue - personaly I would say go out and get a tripod (or a monopod) and learn to love it :)
If you have a lens without IS then its almost a must as it really helps get clearer shots - even things like wildlife can be done with a good tripod and head (though when starting out if you don't have a few $100 to spend on a tripod then a cheaper one from a department store can help a little, but it won't be the same)
As for the shots I really like both - you certainly have the eye - but the first has a lot of noise in it (the little dots) so I would be inclined to say run the noise remover/reduction again over the shot - you might lose some detial but the shot looks clear and sharp (though I think you might just have missed the eye - but only very just) so you should still have a very good shot afterwards
Second shot is - well - wonderful - bright clear and sharp and no noise at all!

I bought a cheap monopod, and it seems to help, I have been trying to shoot hand held to practice, just got to remember to keep my elbows in!

Im so wary about noise reduction, the images always seem to go smooth and loose texture, I guess i need to work on my technique!

thank you for your answer

Noise reduction can be tricky, especially when shooting handheld. Out of interest do you use the unsharpen mask to sharpen your shots? Idealy you should do it as the last step in post production (it sharpens the shot be removes details which are often very important for other settings to take proper effect).
some sharpening info:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm
detailed but very helpful!

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/layers_and_layer_mask.htm
general advice with using the layermask - move down for sharpening advice (it also works on the revers for selective noise reduction)

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you in awhile!

Having fun?

(I'm not sure how Canon compares with Nikon, but I actually prefer the heavier D200 over the D80.)

Hey, congrats on the new camera.

I agree with Harmony about prefering a heavier camera, my case was D80 vs D300, but you will certainly get use to it... maybe start pumping some iron. :lol:

On the first shot, I would like to have seen the bottom of the sphere.

The second one is great especially if you only used a monopod.

If you haven't already, go get yourself a copy of THE book. (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson)

Now you don't have an excuse to stay away from us. :lol:

the weight of my 20D (same weight as 30D almost) acts as more of a stabilizing feature than a camera shake increaser. It's not straining to my arms, yet the intertia of a magnesium body at rest holds it in place fairly well. I shake P&S cameras when I am asked to take a picture for someone because all the little muscle tweaks I usually use to refine my shot or focus, are employed on a 5 oz piece of plastic and leave the camera a little wobbly.

Noise reduction can be tricky, especially when shooting handheld. Out of interest do you use the unsharpen mask to sharpen your shots? Idealy you should do it as the last step in post production (it sharpens the shot be removes details which are often very important for other settings to take proper effect).
some sharpening info:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm
detailed but very helpful!

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/layers_and_layer_mask.htm
general advice with using the layermask - move down for sharpening advice (it also works on the revers for selective noise reduction)

Yes i had been using the unsharp marsk, I will have a look at those links later, as my brain is fryed and I cant seem to absorb what I read.

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you in awhile!

Having fun?

(I'm not sure how Canon compares with Nikon, but I actually prefer the heavier D200 over the D80.)

I love having a DSLR it does give you more freedom with your shots, but more to carry LOL

Hey, congrats on the new camera.

I agree with Harmony about prefering a heavier camera, my case was D80 vs D300, but you will certainly get use to it... maybe start pumping some iron. :lol:

On the first shot, I would like to have seen the bottom of the sphere.

The second one is great especially if you only used a monopod.

If you haven't already, go get yourself a copy of THE book. (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson)

Now you don't have an excuse to stay away from us. :lol:

Thanks, Well honestly I cut the bottom of the ball because the whole picture was crooked :blushing: but I do agree it would have been better with a bit more there.

the weight of my 20D (same weight as 30D almost) acts as more of a stabilizing feature than a camera shake increaser. It's not straining to my arms, yet the intertia of a magnesium body at rest holds it in place fairly well. I shake P&S cameras when I am asked to take a picture for someone because all the little muscle tweaks I usually use to refine my shot or focus, are employed on a 5 oz piece of plastic and leave the camera a little wobbly.

Maybe Im adjusting, I picked up a small point and shoot today for my husbandwhich i am returning as its focus takes to long and is over loud -its an ex display, so I knew i could face problems, but thought it was worth a try for $40.00
anyway back to the point
when i picked it up i immediately tryed to look through the view finder-which of course there was none, and it felt small and awkward in my hands!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back