What's new

sour grapes?

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
1,398
Reaction score
159
Location
Boca Raton, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
Been awhile since I've been able to post here.
I am looking for some feedback on which photos within the sets are the better ones, and which is the best out of the lot.


Set 1:

A
Grapesanddroplet-macro-1.jpg


B
Grapesanddroplet-macro2-1.jpg



Set 2:

A
Grapes.jpg


B
Grapes2-1.jpg



Set 3:

A
Grapesandleaveswithdew-1.jpg


B
GrapeswithDew-1.jpg



Individuals:

4
GrapeswithDew-closer.jpg


5
Grapewithlightreflectionin4droplets-1.jpg
 
#4 is my fav of the bunch :D
 
What are you trying to say, portray with these?
These are for a wine maker in my area, and he requested photos of grapes showing freshness, lightness, flavour, and good colour.
Each of the 3 sets portrays a different view.
Set 1 - I personally prefer A because of the DOF and the colour.
Set 2 - I don't know which I like better.
Set 3 - I prefer B, it looks more luscious.
No 4 - is my favourite
No 5 - I like because of the ring-light in the droplet.

All droplets of dew are courtesy of a spray bottle of water I carried around with me for the shoot.
 
Wow!

How in hell do you show lightness and flavour?

Freshness (via the spray bottle, I get) and colour (color in the US) are not too bad to do but that means there is only one that works, as far as I'm concerned. That would be #7 although a bit light on the colour... and it could use a bit more green.
 
I think 2A and 2B show the health of the vine, the colors of the grapes, and the dust (natural yeast) that is needed for the fermentation process in winemaking.

I like 3A, but water droplets are not central to the winemaking process.
 
Wow!

How in hell do you show lightness and flavour?

Freshness (via the spray bottle, I get) and colour (color in the US) are not too bad to do but that means there is only one that works, as far as I'm concerned. That would be #7 although a bit light on the colour... and it could use a bit more green.

Lightness and flavour? I have no idea. Remember this is wine makers language :lol:. Personally I felt the shots leaned more to the heavy side, grapes looking full-bodied and heavy. I explained to him, that for the grapes to show lightness, it is better to use green grapes, but he specifically wanted the dark grapes.
What would you have differently on number 7 (Number 4 on the list above)?
 
I think 2A and 2B show the health of the vine, the colors of the grapes, and the dust (natural yeast) that is needed for the fermentation process in winemaking.

I like 3A, but water droplets are not central to the winemaking process.

I never thought of it that way before, but now that you mention it, I see your point. It actually gives 2A and 2B a new look.
The water droplets are really more there to try and denote "freshness"
 
I would avoid showing dead/dying/brown leaves.
 
Too much flash or light creating dull, flat,even lighting on the grapes. #4 is by far the best shot of the entire bunch, and is the only image I would buy if I were a stock photo submissions editor. I love grapes. I have photographed them casually, off an on, first in the 1980's, and then later in the 2000's--they present a very challenging subject quite often, due to the flat, shadowed lighting the vines often create, and the depth of field problems often involved.
 
Too much flash or light creating dull, flat,even lighting on the grapes. #4 is by far the best shot of the entire bunch, and is the only image I would buy if I were a stock photo submissions editor. I love grapes. I have photographed them casually, off an on, first in the 1980's, and then later in the 2000's--they present a very challenging subject quite often, due to the flat, shadowed lighting the vines often create, and the depth of field problems often involved.
I hear you loud and clear, it was really challenging trying not to get that flat look. These are best out of +- 50 photos.
I used flash, ring light, and natural light, and each had their own issues. One thing I did not try is off-camera flash from a 45 degree angle to the grapes. that may have given more depth from shadows.
What do you think of Set 1 A? DOF is there, and nice lighting I feel.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom