Spam and cookies

just out of interest, how does clearing your cookies help prevent spam on this forum?

Virtually every site you go to puts at least one cookie into your computer. But that isn't all. Sites can also read all the cookies you have on your computer to profile you - that is, they can make a list of all the sites you have been to and see what your interests are. The idea was originally to use it for advertising - it's one of the ways some sites select what ads appear on your computer.
There used to be a Google Banner on here that did it. Visit a lot of sites on Photography and you would see photo ads. Go to some travel sites and you started getting holiday ads.
I have no doubt that some sites read the cookies in order to finger potential spamable sites. You go to the site either by accident or design, it reads your cookies and the information is fed to spam bots that go and try to spam the sites you have visited. Or to provide info for a person who needs to get a life to spam it the hard way.
If you clear out your cookies then the trail isn't there to follow, is it?

In any event it is good practice to clean out your computer regularly. Once a day if you surf a lot.
And turn off Java when you don't need it.
It's common practice for sites to 'read' your computer through Java. Normally it's done to get your e-mail address to e-mail spam to you. But if you have done any financial transactions it is possible to strip out your credit card info too.

Hertz, I cleaned my cookie today. Just because you asked. :hugs:

Sites can also read all the cookies you have on your computer to profile you - that is, they can make a list of all the sites you have been to and see what your interests are. The idea was originally to use it for advertising - it's one of the ways some sites select what ads appear on your computer.And turn off Java when you don't need it.
It's common practice for sites to 'read' your computer through Java. Normally it's done to get your e-mail address to e-mail spam to you. But if you have done any financial transactions it is possible to strip out your credit card info too.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. A site cannot read cookies from other sites. Advertisers are very clever with how they construct their cookies, and the processing involved in tracking their own ads. But DoubleClick cannot read Google's cookies. Just as I can't put scripting on my own site to see where you've been. Cookies were created to allow web sites to maintain information as you move from page to page (that's why you don't have to log in every time you jump to a different page on the forum.)

Actually I think that they also install tracking or tracing cookies that do keep track of where you go. At least that what my adware and malware zappers list when they clean the computer.

Supposedly my computer reports to them when I go anywhere and the reporting is what slows down the computer I'm told aka spyware

damn conspiracy... spy theory... ouch.... i cant type with 1 hand.. no im not a gimp.. just today.. spiderbite...

well when you wake up tomorrow see if you can cast a web from your arm and climb walls

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't help feeling that we need more mods who are not based in the US - the worst of what we're getting hit with at the moment is arriving during the quiet hours stateside. Does that mean the spammers are hitting the forum when they know nobody is likely to be monitoring matters too actively? I notice we even get pictures with the spam now

yeah I can only think of 2 from Europe, LaFoto and Archangel, apologies if there are more, and if they are out and about the spam stays for a few hours

Most reactions

New Topics

Back