Spare Ribs On My Smoker

Wow! That looks awesome.....

I must admit that I'm a purist, so charcoal only for me. In the UK it's very difficult to get proper BBQ and we have different cuts of meat. I've got a big offset smoker and grill in my garden, it's a delight to do a 8hr smoke with a full bone in shoulder of pork! I'd love to get a dry rub recipe and some tips on brisket? That's not something we've traditionally done in the UK and our brisket cut is different, but thankfully my butcher is really good so will do me their best, plus their meat is fantastic because they dry age.
If I recall, Aaron Franklin has the title for best brisket in Texas or used to anyway. He did receive the James Beard Award so that says a lot. I've eaten at his restaurant and the man can smoke a brisket. Here's a link to one of his recipes:

I'm not a big fan of brisket. It tends to be too dry for me.

I'm not a big fan of brisket. It tends to be too dry for me.
It can be difficult to cook just right, it's not easy and takes a lot of practice to get it right consistently so I understand how you feel, been there. It really can be a big waste of time and money if you botch it.

I've never cooked one. Might give it a try.

If I recall, Aaron Franklin has the title for best brisket in Texas or used to anyway. He did receive the James Beard Award so that says a lot. I've eaten at his restaurant and the man can smoke a brisket. Here's a link to one of his recipes:
Nice one, thanks! That looks really excellent and I can tell I'm going to have to buy one of his books now!

We use to buy Franklins BBQ for the office every few months as a treat for all of our guys. It's amazing!

Worth the wait in line and the price!

We use to buy Franklins BBQ for the office every few months as a treat for all of our guys. It's amazing!

Worth the wait in line and the price!
I waited in line for an hour and a half one day and what also made it worthwhile (other than the food) was a waitress brought cold beer and other drinks to everyone waiting in the parking lot. That was a first for me and it made the experience even more memorable.

very cool story and great photos with priceless photographic value .. and the ribs seem yummy too .. perhaps I need to reread that post about the forum upgrade .. I have certainly missed there something related to the upgraded purpose and focus of this forum ..

Yeah, brisket is ace.
Yeah mate, I do love a bit of proper BBQ'ed meat. I've spent the last couple of years trying to nail pulled pork. It's difficult to get the American cuts here, so I just get a full, bone in shoulder from the butcher and BBQ the entire joint. I'm happy with my recipe for that, and I've not had anything close in the UK, though there's probably a few guys who can do it better than me. Packer cut brisket is the next big challenge, so need to see if I can get that just holding texture but keep the moisture in.

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind for some of the recipes. I have always cooked my ribs with hickory & charcoal. Today was the 1st time I used gas to regulate the temp.. I use an Inkbird to monitor the temp.. Bluetooth is great.

By the way. They were fantastic. Really moist.
Glad they turned out. Yep, bluetooth is awesome. But, I do have a Thermopen to keep the remotes honest. :icon_biggrin:
This is my smoker before I converted it to gas. A Friend of ours has an annual crab boil & I cook ribs too.
That's a nice smoker. Would love to own one but, just can't justify it. Overkill for what we do. It started with a need to learn how to smoke sausage using our venison (instead of paying someone else) and branched out into personal use. Ribs, pulled pork, etc....

Nice smoker. My goto trick, since I don't own a smoker, is to soak wood chips, then put them in a pan on one side of the gas grill and turn the burner on under the pan, and then put the meat on the other side. It's worked very well. I have a pic somewhere. I'll update my comment if I can find it.

Nice smoker. My goto trick, since I don't own a smoker, is to soak wood chips, then put them in a pan on one side of the gas grill and turn the burner on under the pan, and then put the meat on the other side. It's worked very well. I have a pic somewhere. I'll update my comment if I can find it.
I've done that on my gas grill, too, and it gave the meat a nice smoke flavor ... but no smoke ring.

Last edited:
Coming from a Texan, isn't that sacrilege? :icon_biggrin:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back