Special Donation!! ATTN: Raj_55555

Guys, need a little help here.. It seems the sensor somehow has a hair on it.. It's visible clearly in all the shots now, I set the shutter to 30 secs and could clearly see it on the sensor and it seems to be easily removable. Lew did send me some something called a "14mm and a 18mm sensor swipe", but I don't have a clue how to use it. I was hoping to take it out tomorrow, anyone? :(

It can be seen in the last image I posted, and also this one I took later (on the wire near the feet):
14387284923_d90de80d56_h.jpg

Last edited:
I've looked til my eyes hurt, and I cannot see it. You sure you're not looking at his back claw, curling around under the wire?

I see the hair but unfortunately I can't help you at all :( If it were a film camera, I could give you some suggestions, but I don't know the first thing about cleaning a dslr sensor. The only thing I can say is that whatever you do, do it carefully.

Anything in the manual?
I found this video that uses the 'swipes' (warning, this guy's voice is really annoying. I think Derrel needs to do a voiceover for it :sexywink: )

I don't know all the accessories you got with the camera but if the video isn't helpful, maybe it'll lead you to something that is more useful. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to copperhillimages.com and watch tutorial.
the cleaner liquid is pure methanol.
Those are copperhillimages swipes and wands but use air bulb to blow off sensor first
Lew

I don't see it either but if it is there cleaning a hair should not require a full swab cleaning. I would just lock up the mirror and why holding camera lens mount downward while blasting it with a rocket Blower it should blast the hair off.

First just use a rocket blower and give it a blow. I would only try to do the liquid cleaning if the blower at first doesn't work. Something like a hair though should come off pretty easy with a simple few blows. If you don't have a camera blower, you can get an ear bulb from a pharmacy really cheap that works exactly the same. Its what I use actually.

Wow, a girl goes off the grid for a week, and this is what happens?!?! Gotta watch you people every minute! ;-)
I'm glad that the truth was revealed before I ever even saw the thread; not sure I would have slept well at night thinking that Raj's camera had been denied to him!

Raj, those are some pretty nice pictures with that lens! Makes me even happier that I was able to donate it to you, seeing what you're already doing with it! I was using it for a paperweight... :D

So sorry for the late response guys, I slept on the laptop the entire night.. :lol:
Go to copperhillimages.com and watch tutorial.
the cleaner liquid is pure methanol.
Those are copperhillimages swipes and wands but use air bulb to blow off sensor first
Lew
limr already posted that video, so I saw it. I don't really have the air bulb so I'm about to order this kit, I hope it will suffice. It also includes some sort of a carbon based lens cleaner, anyone used it before?

First just use a rocket blower and give it a blow. I would only try to do the liquid cleaning if the blower at first doesn't work. Something like a hair though should come off pretty easy with a simple few blows. If you don't have a camera blower, you can get an ear bulb from a pharmacy really cheap that works exactly the same. Its what I use actually.
From a pharmacy? I'll try that before ordering then, why do they keep that? :scratch:
Thanks, you sure got the best eyes in the house :D

Wow, a girl goes off the grid for a week, and this is what happens?!?! Gotta watch you people every minute! ;-)
I'm glad that the truth was revealed before I ever even saw the thread; not sure I would have slept well at night thinking that Raj's camera had been denied to him!

Raj, those are some pretty nice pictures with that lens! Makes me even happier that I was able to donate it to you, seeing what you're already doing with it! I was using it for a paperweight... :D

Thanks Sharon, about time you joined us :D. I think I can extract some more juice out of that lens though ;). Now post some pictures of the Caribbeans, would you? :grumpy:

Oh, and BTW I wonder where Jason is, I went out with his lens yesterday night to the local bazaar. I tried to capture the shopkeepers and all, but my street skills aren't that good :(.
Here's the only picture I really liked:
14181188580_422373404d_b.jpg

Today was one of those days where everywhere I turned I found something worth shooting, I took such variety of pictures today and was soooo happy. I can not believe that after spending 5 damn hours in the zoo, I come back to find that all the files in the CF card are somehow corrupted. And I probably took some of my best photos till date! So this is what hopelessness feels like :crazy:.
Luckily for me I kept my SX50 with me, and took a few pictures on it occasionally. At least I have something to show for my work.

Most reactions

Back