speed light difference

800 has more power, zooms in more, SU-4 mode, and a lousy interface.

600 is cheaper, still has CLS, only 2/3rds of a stop less powerful, better interface, recycles faster.

If you're willing to fork out the cash for the 800, you might as well get 2 600's.

its cheaper?
clear.gif

800 has more power, zooms in more, SU-4 mode, and a lousy interface.

600 is cheaper, still has CLS, only 2/3rds of a stop less powerful, better interface, recycles faster.

If you're willing to fork out the cash for the 800, you might as well get 2 600's.
well in the long run i want to have 3 flash's i was thinking of 1 800 and 2 600's i been talking about this for some time ... but i really need to get a external flash by may 19th i was wondering if a sb-600 will be good enough for some portrait's

if I were in your shoes, i'd do 2 sb600's and an su800 if you want to do it that way. The SB800's commander is bright and can make people blink.

if I were in your shoes, i'd do 2 sb600's and an su800 if you want to do it that way. The SB800's commander is bright and can make people blink.
could you explain to me why you would do this plz

Thought he just did. The SB-800 in commander makes people blink. The SU-800 uses an IR pre-signal so the initial flash to exposure duration is shorter.

That said people always put off the SB-800's extra power till their power limit light blinks. If you intend to bouncing the flash the extra power is most welcome and despite what people think the interface while hard to read is not bad at all IMO. I still can't figure my way around an SB-600 properly but that's because I own an 800. That said SB-800 has a faster cycle time, the option of a 5th battery for an EVEN faster cycle time, and if you don't need all that then just get yourself a 600.

For your situation I would get a SB-600 first. It gets you into a flash that has full capabilities. And if your desperate for more flash. You can always add cheaper units that have a slave mode. Save the big money purchases for later when you have a must need for them. With a SB600 you can use it wireless off camera, and say buy a couple SB80dx's, or SB28dx's used. And use them as a slave. Bingo, you have 3 flashes for about $100 more than the SB-800.

But for now. Pick up a SB-600 to get started.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back