What's new

Speedlight and Strobe trigger question

sanceja21

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I have a pretty amateur question, but I'm really clueless at the moment, and with a shoot to do later this week, I really need help.

I have a 2 studio strobes and an sb700 that I want to trigger simultaneously. In the kit I'm planning to get, it comes with its own wireless trigger set that had 1 transmitter and 2 receivers.

My question is, seeing that my D7000 and sb700 can trigger wirelessly... I wanted to know if i can trigger the sb-700 along with the strobes without getting it its own receiver. Is this possible?
 
It depends on the camera you have; if it's a D80/90, D7000, D300 or D700 it has the ability through the CLS Commander Mode to trigger a remote SB 6,7,8, or 900 via the pop-up flash, provided the flash is in it's line of sight. The best way to do this is by supplying a trigger for each light however.

As an aside... with a shoot later this week, isn't this a little late in the game to be asking very basic questions?
 
Depends on your studio strobes, if they have a way to fire in "slave" mode believe you could do it. You can always place one reciever on the flash and one on a strobe and let the other strobe pick up the flashes firing if it has a slave. Or fire both strobes and place the flash on slave and let that fire.
-
Shoot well, Joe
 
I don't know all about Nikon's CLS system, but I assume that it uses the built-in flash to trigger the remote flash....but it probably uses multiple pulses of the flash, both for metering and for communication to the remote flash.

The problem with that, is that the first pulse of flash, will trigger the studio lights...and they won't be able to flash again when the shutter is open.

So if you want this set up to work well, you will need to eliminate the flashes from pulsing etc. One way, would be to put the wireless trigger onto your flash (in manual mode) and that will trigger the studio strobes.
 
My stobes have slaves built into them. I just set the on-camera strobe to manual and dial it down to 1/64 power so it doesn't affect the lighting.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom