Speedlight for portraits?

Beautiful work Travis! I'm seriously in awe of some of your photos.

thanks! i really appreciate it! do you have a flickr? and heres anotherexamle of combining natural light with strobes i just took this weekend of my family.
i used my alienbees ab1600 with a 47" octabox camera right for some soft natural looking light

The Fam by Travis Pietsch, on Flickr

Shot yesterday afternoon in total blowout FL sun, attempted a save with fill camera left

SRW_3054-Edit-Edit.jpg

The worse the light is the more I use flash.
Midday or green shaded park light I always use flash, speedlight with a 42" shoot through umbrella style softbox.

Evenings when the light is great I usually, I shoot natural and stay out of green shadow park light.

It is just different look...shoot what you like.

Decent. Background is a little over exposed. Maybe tone down the exposure some.

Is that your cute daughter? My son turns into a strawberry whenever he runs around in the sun too. Thanks for posting, I like!

No.. just a friends daughter at the park! Hot day.. and she was actually sweaty (that is why her eyelashes are wet).. and she was very flushed! Thanks...

speedlights for outdoor portraits? never leave home without 'em ;)

single sb-80dx for fill shooting into a falling sun..

6111333922_f1d43e8b6f_o.jpg

SAF_4848 by Spoe70, on Flickr

Last edited:
Do you think it's overkill if someone uses a speedlight for outdoor portraits versus full natural light? I love the look and results I get when photographing with my SL, even in the golden hours. Does anybody else do this?

No, it's not overkill.

The reason it is done is to fill in the dark shadows caused by direct sunlight.

Most reactions

Back