Spending my tax refund (Question about FILTERS)

WNK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I'm thinking of spending some of my tax refund on a new filter for my Rebel... any recommendations? I don't yet have any filters for it. Which one(s) do you find that you use the most often? What do they do? How much do you love them? :heart::heart::heart: Feel free to post examples of pics, too -- I'd love to see actual samples of what each can do! Thanks in advance!

Is your Rebel a film Rebel or a Digital Rebel?

I first suggestion is a circular polarizer. For outdoor shots, especially in the sun, this is an invaluable filter. Just about everything else can be done with Photoshop so that's all I'd recommend for starters.

Consider a UV filter, at a minimum it will help protect your lens from scratches to the front element. Also useful to cut UV ray's that can degrade images. As Mike suggests a polarizer, it is invaluable, as you can eliminate unwanted reflections and create drama in your outdoor photographs, just for starters. Next if you are planning to do landscapes, I would recommend at least one graduated filter to help control blown out highlights.

I just recieved my circular polarizer in the mail today (for my Nikon D80). I take a lot of water shots, and I'm hoping to cut down on reflection and glare with it...maybe I'll post some test pictures.

UV filter and a circular polariser. For digital photos pretty much all warming filters, diffusers, colour cast filters for black and white, etc can be done afterwards in software.

Other things you can not do easily in software:
ND Grad filters (yes you can in software but it's hard to get a natural look)
Neutral Density filters to allow LONG exposures during the day.
Infra Red filters like the R72 that block all visible light.

Haha... so I lied. When you all started talking about UV filters something clicked in my brain, I ran to my camera, and -- sure enough -- I do have one. I keep it on my favorite lens (never take it off), so I had completely forgotten that I even had it! :blushing:

I'm definately going to do some research on the circular polarizer -- it definately sounds like something I could use.
Any other suggestions (BTW, yes it is a digital Rebel)

Most reactions

Back