Spending some money help welcomed.

I3igcircle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Long story short family camera was stolen a while ago (was original canon film rebel). Been waiting to see what the new Nikon would be and am now looking for opinions.

Was originally looking at D7000 waited and now have D600 option. I personally like the idea of full frame, I can slowly get lenses that can be as relevant today as years from now etc.

Mostly family shots and traveling to Hong Kong for Chinese new years where I know a true wide angle FF would make a world of difference. I was set on getting the new D600 which was why I waited but see so much hate for it right now lol has been questioning it.

I know for not much more I could get a D700 but the smaller size of the D90 style cameras ie D7000 D600 is more what I am looking for. So having no gear starting fresh is going D600 the wrong route?

Thanks for your time and help,
N

Are you set on Nikon? You can pick up classic Canon 5D's for like 700 bucks.

Just a thought.

what's your budget....

the D600 should be a great camera, sure it's not perfect, but I haven't yet seen a piece of photographic equipment that is, judging from the specs though it seems to be an excellent option for a lower cost FX option....you may do well to wait for the D600 to be released and see if the cost of good used equipment falls, like the D700, etc...plus, if you can go to a store to test out the D600/whatever else, you can feel what the body size/weight/etc is and what feels best to you...which ultimately is one of the most important factors.

don't let the opinions of people on the internet get to you much, opinionated people will hate/love on EVERYTHING, all the opinions flying around right now are based on nothing but hearsay and conjecture, only a few people have ever used a D600 since it is still yet to be released. the same things have been happening for centuries over everything, people can get easily threatened and defensive by change and advancement...especially in a highly competitive market like photography.

however, without info on your budgetary restraints, we can't help much...

Last edited:
On the camera body D600 at 2k tops was planning for the rumored $1500. So body wise D600 2k or D7000 1k. Then lenses to start and best build a kit for the future one lens obviously or two depending on the price. Can buy one better lense maybe up to $1300 or was thinking a few cheaper fast primes. Main thing I'm looking for is faster low light glass to capture the kids etc. and scenery in Hong Kong.

Camera guy suggested the 35mm-70 f/2.8d costs $999.99
here.

But he is a sales men and I've been lurking here akin while and know a lot of you have experience and opinions in glass I ccould better from. Or better of with a couple primes ir 50mm AF-s 1.4g $519 and a 28mm 2.8d $269.
For 50 prime there is AF or AF-s and one is D the other G which is the best one to get. Or even a 1.8 50mm G only $231.

Thank you, I would get what I like most likely but forward thinking and not wanting to have miss placed hard earned cash I looked to the more experienced photographers here for guidance on building a kit. To hopefully learn from their mistakes and not repeat the same unenasarry purchases. I will buy the best I can afford if it means one lens so be it for now, and go from there. So like 3-$3500. I take care of my mom and sister, plus my wife and kids so what I can't afford to do is re buy or miss place funds :)

thats understandable, and you've got a good budget to work with...if I were you I'd be looking in the good condition used market...personally I'd wait for the D600 to start shipping for a few months, and watch the prices for used D700's...you likely will be able to get a excellent low use one for between $1500-1800 if you shop around well enough...then I'd put the rest of the money in high end FX lenses, then over time you can build up a good lens selection and upgrade the body at a later time when you need to. if you're going to be shooting wide angle low light stuff mostly, the D700 + some fast primes would be and excellent match...and even for the lenses, I'd recommend looking at the used market first...some great prime lenses to look into in your budget would be: 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 28 1.8G...and depending on what you got the D700 for, you may be able to grab something like a good used 14-24 f2.8G + 1-2 primes...

with a budget like that you've got plenty of options, but I'd definitely be investing mostly in lenses, and even if you go for a D7000 or something, I'd still focus on building you lens collection with FX lenses, that way you'll be set if you ever plan on going with an FX body (which according to your posts it kindof sounds like that is the ultimate goal)....

My only draw back for D700 is it was a bit bigger and heavier for my wife. And also no video option which isn't a deal breaker but nice option with the new baby.

Where I am in Calgary AB iI havn't had much luck looking for used camera gear, so given that you would say stay clear of
the D600 and go for D7000, hopefully used but if not $1000. I like your thinking for the lens going FX was my route for sure, that zooming lens the guy ssuggested is a no go then and get primes?

yeah, if you want video the D700 wouldn't work...I'd be a toss up between the D7000 and D600 for me, personally, I'd probably be leaning towards the 600 if it were only between those 2. the savings on the D7000 are nice, and its a fantastic camera, but since in the end you want to be using FX anyways, the advancements on the D600 over the D7000 may be worth the extra cost. I'd really recommend waiting for the d600 to actually get released so you can hold it and see how it feels in your hands, not to mention being able to see how the 600 stacks up against the 7000 in real situations and with other reviews, etc...

so, if you went with the D7000, it kindof sounds like it would just be an interim body until you can save up for an FX body in the end...in which case I wouldn't even bother with the D7000, I'd get something much cheaper, but still good, like the D90, and use that extra money saved to put toward the future FX body (be it the D800, D600 or whatever) that you really want, or for lenses or something....so from that standpoint, I'd say if you want FX, go with FX and get the D600, but if you want to save money and get a higher end FX body later, then skip the D7000 and get something cheaper like the d90...

my $.02 at least...

edit - forgot you asked about the 35-70 2.8...personally I've never used it, but it seems like a pretty good lens, I believe it's older and discontinued now, so you'd need to get one used, so depending on the price it might be nice to have...but then, so would a couple faster primes in the same range...

oh, and you can find good used stuff non-local to you, try keh, or the classifieds here, or even places like B&H and adorama regularly sell used equipment too...even e-bay can be a decent place to get stuff from

Last edited:
I think the D600 is going to be a great camera and like you, I'd prefer a body smaller than the D700 or D800. The cost is what I am having trouble accepting. You have to ask, is it really worth double the price of a D7000 to you?

Don't pay $1k for a 35-70. It is a nice lens, but I picked up mine (like new) off ebay for $370.

Last edited:
D600 all the way.. Don't wast your time with a DX body and Lenses if you know you want FF. If you get the D600 body and a 50mm 1.8D (~$100) you'd have a great start!

Well I pulled the trigger and pre ordered the D600 and to start just the 50mm 1.8G prime. I'll save next for the 17-35 mm 2.8 then a zoom (not sure which one) to use when my son starts tball next season.

I'm sure I'll he happy with it and it will be more than I need with room to grow into and play around with down the road.

Thanks everyone.

N

17-35mm is really wide on full frame, you likely won't use it much unless you shoot a lot of interior architecture.

I thin you'd find a 70-200mm f2.8 far more versital. For wide angle pick up a 20 or 24mm prime.

Was getting it based on popular reviews and thought it made more sense based on the following.

I was going to get 28mm and 35mm primes but the cost was similar to the $1600 the 17-35 would cost me and seemed to get better reviews as a whole for a lens. So it covered 28 and 35 and much more. I like the wide angle idea for it trip to hong long lots of temples, landscape etc to try and capture.

I could use recommendation for good quality lens with good PQ from like 85mm up or what would be the best route to fill those distances?

Nikon 50mm question...
For my D600 I ordered the 50mm 1.8G but was just guided to pay about $100 more and get the Nikon 1.4D. They said the aperture ring will come in handy for video shooting.

So anyone with experience with either or can help me decide which is best to invest in. Faster glass and the video point seem like a good reason but not sure which is best to pair with the D600.

Thanks,
N

Most reactions

New Topics

Back