Sports/Action shots

ypperin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple shots..... Would love cc on both

Dunno why but this one seems to lose depth???

Last edited:
The first one is pretty good...a nice tight shot of the action. It's a tough shooting situation with the bright white helmets and black pants. The black parts are completely lost in shadows. I like that we can see the tackler's face, it would be cool if we could see some other faces that well.

The second one is out of focus. It looks like the focus point was about 15 yards behind them.

I'm sorry to tell you but the camera you are using will not focus fast enough to follow the action especially if they are coming towards you

I'm sorry to tell you but the camera you are using will not focus fast enough to follow the action especially if they are coming towards you

As with all things, we work with what we have right :D So far I've found this camera to be decent enough to land in the paper nearly every week :thumbup: Here are a few more shots would love some CC on them if you have a moment of course :) Being only my second attempt at shooting full action sports I don't think they're overly horrible, and unfortunately, with three kiddos to feed and a hubby that just finished immigrating the chances of my being able to upgrade right now are slim to none.

SEPT272008VSBURNABY31.jpg

SEPT272008VSBURNABY56.jpg

SEPT272008VSBURNABY66.jpg

SEPT272008VSBURNABY92.jpg

SEPT272008VSBURNABY94.jpg

You are doing well with fast shutter speeds to freeze the action, so that's really good. And as I said before, the are nice tight shots, which is much better than a photo of tiny players on a big field.

The focus does seam to be a bit of an issue on some shots...and as mentioned, it can be hard with gear that isn't ideal for shooting sports. One trick is to pre-focus, where you focus on an area where you expect the action to be...then start snapping when it gets there.

Thanks so much Mike! Yeah, the focus on a couple are hard to get... even when my ESP is in tune with where the players are going to be, it's not entirely perfect.... and part of the problem with that is that is relying on AF rather than MF... though I'm hoping by next year the shots will only get better LOL!

All that being said, it was a definite stroke to the ego when the paper would publish my shots and not the shots of their photographer at the game ROFL.

I really have to get over my fear of fiddling with the settings on my camera.... I suppose that's beginners anxiety, and a fear I will only make the shots worse and never get it back to where it was ROFL!

#3 and last of your secnd set are best, shot 3 crop the arm to the right of the lad with the ball

LMAO nothing says NOOB like the bodiless arm DOH! :lol:

Most reactions

Back