Springtime C&C

ElementX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just some pictures I picked out from my trip outdoors today.
Hope to get some C&C on this even though I posted yesterday already... I took time to make sure the focus was better this time haha

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

Last edited:
I like the colors on all. Three is the best. The first doesn't do much for me as I find the background to busy and too in focus.

I like 4 but the subject is too close to the edge.

I like the colors on all. Three is the best. The first doesn't do much for me as I find the background to busy and too in focus.

I like 4 but the subject is too close to the edge.
Thanks for your feedback and being the first person to comment :)
I cropped most of them so I can still make the crops less tight.

Bump one more time before I go to sleep.. no one seems to give critiques anymore...

They all look soft to me, but given that you used high shutter speeds, it can't be motion blur. I like the third the best in terms of composition; the bee is clearly the subject of the photograph, and not in shadows like it is in the fourth shot. The second shot would have more impact, IMO, if more of the ladybug was visible and the big stick to the left wasn't there (it's a bit distracting). The first photo is nice, but I think the big dark area on the right kind of detracts from the image, since it doesn't really fit with the warm, sunny, springtime feeling the rest of the shot has.

Hope this helps, and keep shooting. :)

They all look soft to me, but given that you used high shutter speeds, it can't be motion blur. I like the third the best in terms of composition; the bee is clearly the subject of the photograph, and not in shadows like it is in the fourth shot. The second shot would have more impact, IMO, if more of the ladybug was visible and the big stick to the left wasn't there (it's a bit distracting). The first photo is nice, but I think the big dark area on the right kind of detracts from the image, since it doesn't really fit with the warm, sunny, springtime feeling the rest of the shot has.

Hope this helps, and keep shooting. :)
Haha just checked this one more time before bed.
They look soft? I tried really hard to make that didn't happen again... :(
I put a the high shutter speed as you said and put the f stop at f/7.1
I thought the third picture was pretty sharp on the bee...

Thanks for the critique :)

Nice effort.
Pic#1 needs to have the main flower you chose as your subject, larger, thus reducing the size of the busy background. A shallower DOF in macro florals is a major plus. You placed the flower dead center, try to move it one way or the other to add interest and balance.

Pic #2 just doesn't work for me. At 1st I had no idea of what the subject was. Then I finally found the Lady Bug off in the lower right hand corner. Way too small to be the suject. Also, as Natalie said, that twig is very distracting, and visually takes up way more space then the Lady Bug.

I like Pic #3 the best The Bee is large, slightly off centered, and just an overall nice composition.

Pic#4 needs to have the Bee a little closer to center as there is just too much space to the right.

Nice effort.
Pic#1 needs to have the main flower you chose as your subject, larger, thus reducing the size of the busy background. A shallower DOF in macro florals is a major plus. You placed the flower dead center, try to move it one way or the other to add interest and balance.

Pic #2 just doesn't work for me. At 1st I had no idea of what the subject was. Then I finally found the Lady Bug off in the lower right hand corner. Way too small to be the suject. Also, as Natalie said, that twig is very distracting, and visually takes up way more space then the Lady Bug.

I like Pic #3 the best The Bee is large, slightly off centered, and just an overall nice composition.

Pic#4 needs to have the Bee a little closer to center as there is just too much space to the right.
Thanks for taking the time to C&C :D
It's nice that you C&C quite a few other people too haha
I'll have to work on my crops and compositions more now
Do you pictures look soft to you though? (Like Natalie said?)

Yes, I do find all of them soft. Could be a combination of slightly out of focus coupled with cropping. For macros you should be using manual focus whenever possible.

Yes, I do find all of them soft. Could be a combination of slightly out of focus coupled with cropping. For macros you should be using manual focus whenever possible.
I see.... I was using AF
So it might be focusing sightly off of the subject is what you're saying?

I see.... I was using AF
So it might be focusing sightly off of the subject is what you're saying?

Yes. Especially in cases where the composition is so crowded. I've run into that situation many times, and thus manual focus in any situation where the camera can be easily confused.

Most reactions

Back