Spyders or Munkis?

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm to the point where I can get a monitor calibration setup. I am looking at either the Spyder5Pro or the ColorMunki Display. Prices are about the same and it looks like the ColorMunki may have a slight edge. Initially it will be used on a couple of laptops (I know - they are hard to keep calibrated) and a couple of monitors, additional monitors if I decide to take it to the office, but there is likely to be a tablet in the not-so-distant future.

Anyone have any pros and cons for each?

Thanks

I've been a Spyder user for quite a few years... no complaints, and I've always been happy with the results... No experience with the simians...

ColorMunki here for several years, and it's predecessor before that. As with the Spyder users, no issues here.

No experience with the Spyders.

I have been using an xrite colormunki display for a while with no issues.

It seems many more online print labs and color management experts recommend X-Rite's ColorMunki hardware and software over all the others.

OK, thanks. I'll probably end up doing what I did when I tried to decide between Nikon & Canon.

"Heads, spyder; tails, munki." ;)

OK, thanks. I'll probably end up doing what I did when I tried to decide between Nikon & Canon.

"Heads, spyder; tails, munki." ;)
Pretty much how I made my choice, except in my case the Spyder was about 3' closer to the front of the store....

This is my first rodeo with monitor calibration. I edit video and use a 3 monitor setup. All 3 monitors have differences. I looked at the colormunki and spyder websites and there is a pretty significant price difference in their models. It looks like the base models start between $100 and $150 and they go all the way up to $400ish. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Is one of the cheaper models ok for what I'm doing or is it just throwing away money to skimp?

This is my first rodeo with monitor calibration. I edit video and use a 3 monitor setup. All 3 monitors have differences. I looked at the colormunki and spyder websites and there is a pretty significant price difference in their models. It looks like the base models start between $100 and $150 and they go all the way up to $400ish. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Is one of the cheaper models ok for what I'm doing or is it just throwing away money to skimp?
Features and capabilities. The more you pay, the more you can do, such as more and varied devices and ambient light settings. It's like buying a car - the higher priced trim levels give you more doodads.

Most reactions

Back