St. Paul Cathedral

Regardless whether the distortion was planned, I still think the tilt should be fixed.

Other than that, I don't see anything special about the shot.

You're a tough one!

They're not.
The line nearest the very center of the photo is.

I aligned against this window:
I'm open to suggestions on how to better align it!

I noticed in the longer shot the central mass of the building is not vertical. If you are interested in seeing what I see, follow the line from the Cross on top through the central mass of the dome and you will see it.

I don't intend my comments to be nit-picky, it's just that I see what I see, that's all. If you want to keep it tilted, it is fine with me.

It's aligned fine. Some folks can't see the forest for the trees, is all. I wouldn't worry about it.

You can't please everyone, but look at the consensus of opinions on it.

Hi, Buckster. If this shot is intended primarily as an architectural shot, I think every effort should be made to show the building at its best. The lens distortion is something we simply deal with given the limitations of most people's equipment budget. The tilt however is something that can be easily fixed by nearly any software anybody has. If a little tilt is fine with you, then it is fine with me too.

I say don't fix the distortion. Aligning everything along perfect grid lines would ruin this shot for me. With the building stretching away it creates a space in the sky that gives the picture it's quixotic character. And I mean that in the best of ways.

It's aligned fine. Some folks can't see the forest for the trees, is all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi, Buckster. If this shot is intended primarily as an architectural shot, I think every effort should be made to show the building at its best. The lens distortion is something we simply deal with given the limitations of most people's equipment budget. The tilt however is something that can be easily fixed by nearly any software anybody has. If a little tilt is fine with you, then it is fine with me too.
So far, it's been fine with everyone except you.

Unless the Cross on top is in the exact middle of the composition, it isn't the the thing to vertically align the composition to without throwing the rest of the composition off.

If you're standing there at the scene with tripod and camera, and you have it perfectly bubble-level, and the cross isn't in the middle of the composition, it's simply not going to be on the dead-center vertical axis, so it won't be dead-vertical. It can't be, unless of course you're using a T/S lens.

You CAN twist the camera and go off-bubble-level to your liking if you want to, of course, but there's no reason why you should or must. Same with doing it in post; You CAN, but that doesn't mean you should or that you have to. You could also, during the shot or in post, center the cross in the composition, and then vertically align to that element, but that also doesn't mean you should or must, and centering it like that may throw off other balanced aspects of the shot.

I say don't fix the distortion. Aligning everything along perfect grid lines would ruin this shot for me. With the building stretching away it creates a space in the sky that gives the picture it's quixotic character. And I mean that in the best of ways.

I won't be :)

I like the distortion. Standing there all you feel is the building pulling you upwards. I feel as though I captured what I saw. I set up my tripod with only 1 extension out for this reason as well.

The lens distortion is something we simply deal with given the limitations of most people's equipment budget.

I'm not seeing the relation between lens distortion and budget? I have other lenses. I chose to shoot at 18. I have a 10.5 if you want to see the chaotic distortion from that perspective ;)

Very nice photo!

Most reactions

Back