stabilization

hvyequipmentman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure where else to put this. Does anybody ever use the timer mode to get better shots when camera is handheld. I sometimes don't have a tripod and was wondering if this would help. I'm thinking that it would take away some shake from depressing the shutter button

it helps a tiny bit, but is usually lost in the camera shake from being handheld.

I find that just being careful to lightly squeeze the shutter button as opposed to 'pressing it' does just as much as using the timer. A stable grip and good breathing technique are also probably more helpful than using the timer.

Eh...I would say if you're shooting at a slow enough shutter speed that you're getting blurred images, making that change probably won't make a difference. You'll still have to have arms of steel to hold it still. When I get caught without a tripod I employ the kneeling position, just like shooting a rifle.

Last edited:
Tripods can cost a pretty penny thats for sure. Thanks for the reccomendations this may me out!

I read somewhere that using this method can be specifically used to reduce camera shake, I dont practice it myself, there is always something around to lean / rest on if you dont have your tripod handy, another method if you dont mind filling up your memory card is to use high speed shooting mode and grab 5 or 6 frames.

Lenses with built in stabilization are a great help to this 'senior citizen' that used to have quite steady hands. As I do a lot of low light shooting without a flash, slightly blurred images happen too often at 1/30th or so without an IS lens mounted. After shooting with both, I opted for the 24-105 f4L IS over the 24-70 f2.8L because of the lack of IS on the 24-70.

With or without IS, a 'stable platform' is always a requirement. Tripods are the most stable, but rather inconvenient and bulky in church or at gatherings. So I typically use a monopod instead. It gives a boost to hand-held stability efforts. If all else fails (or if I forgot my monopod), leaning against a wall or pillar is always better than standing. Kneeling on one or both knees also improves stability. Anything is an improvement over standing. Now if the subject(s) would only hold still for a bit...

Most reactions

Back