Stained Glass - Abstract?

Peniole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was taken from inside a pretty dark church, I thought the darkness would be a good frame for the glass, and the reflection on the pew back kind of made it interesting to me. EXIF: 1/80s f/11 ISO100.

What would you classify this shot as, abstract? Any critique appreciated.

Also: Feel free to edit this one.

Thanks.

stainedglass.jpg

No. This is not an abstract to my mind.
But it is a well exposed, sharp, unshaken photo of a church window, and it took me personally a long, long time to find out how to expose for stained glass windows myself ... shooting overexposed bloopers was on the agenda for me at first for all of my attempts!

I like how the light illuminates part of the bench, too, but that makes the photo even less ABSTRACT, for it adds context to the window. So does the light on the window casings, ceiling and sill (is "casing" the word, is it an English word at all??? :scratch: )

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure about casings since english isn't my mother tongue either :p

I set the camera's exposure to ESP+AF so the camera would still use its matrix metering but keeping the AF frame the main exposure determinant (kind of like center weighted average), but instead of the AF frame being the most accurately exposed part of the image more of the rest of the window is taken into consideration.

I think for something to be abstract, you need to convey your image in a way through strong shapes, space, and/or form where the viewer doesn't exactly know what they're looking at at first glance.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I never realy knew the definition properly.

I wasn't actualy setting out to make an abstract image, it's just that I don't know what to categorize this particular image as.

This is really a record shot because you are not attempting to show any more than the existing art of the stained glass.

So does the light on the window casings, ceiling and sill (is "casing" the word, is it an English word at all??? :scratch: )

Yes, casing is the correct English word. :thumbup: Ausgezeichnet! Your English vocabulary is probably better than my German.

skieur

Agree with Sw1tchFX here on Abstract!! but this is a nice shot!

Thank you :)

Couldn't have done it without my lovely new tripod.

Perhaps an abstract version of the same subject could be a closer shot of it filling the frame so we can't make out the design of the glass. Stained glass often has different shades of the color in each panel, maybe if you showed a group of small panels together where we couldn't make out what the design on the glass is it would fit the abstract bill a little better.

I agree with what the above had said as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back