Stairway to Palm Canyon

Litespeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to know the strengths and weaknesses of my photo - thanks.

StairwaytoPalmCanyoncopy.jpg

This looks pretty much like a snapshot to me. There isn't much feeling in it or creativity maybe try a new angle or something. Good luck!

First, Litespeed, welcome to TPF. I would agree with TJ K that this is a snapshot, but where do you go from there? What differentiates a snapshot from an artistic photograph? There are several excellent books on photographic composition (e.g. The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman) and, with a search, I think you'll also find much here on TPF and on the web in general. What is there to this image that says to the viewer: "Look at me"? What draws the viewer's eye and keeps it focused? Are there many things in the image that distract the viewer? Is the object of interest in focus and well lit? Just some thoughts to get you started. Keep shooting!

First, Litespeed, welcome to TPF. I would agree with TJ K that this is a snapshot, but where do you go from there? What differentiates a snapshot from an artistic photograph? There are several excellent books on photographic composition (e.g. The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman) and, with a search, I think you'll also find much here on TPF and on the web in general. What is there to this image that says to the viewer: "Look at me"? What draws the viewer's eye and keeps it focused? Are there many things in the image that distract the viewer? Is the object of interest in focus and well lit? Just some thoughts to get you started. Keep shooting!

Thanks for the tips on the book. I will look into buying it as soon as I can.

The first person suggested that I try a different angle. What kind of an angle would I look for? Tuesday when I go back I will take a shot from the bottom and see if that is more interesting. Any other suggestions?

Well, what catches your eye in the scene? The steps? The fence at the bottom? A particular palm tree? What attracted you to taking this particular scene to begin with? Try using that as your focal point.

For example, I like the stairs and the stone wall - I'd likely try laying down at the top step and putting them in a different view to draw attention to them.

Also try at a different time of day. The sun is overhead, it would be more interesting with more highlights and shadows instead of blasted with sunlight. And it is rather busy with all the different trees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back