Standard lens focusing problems

BobaPhil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aarchive.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I have a Canon 450d with a standard lens, the 18 - 55mm one. I got the camera second hand and everything has been OK.

But, of late, it doesn't seem to focus and doesn't seem to take any photos, until I go to manual and focus myself. It will either focus the wrong way, as in more out of focus, or just not fix on anything, even with a set focal point.

Now, I have updated the firmware to the latest 1.1.0 and I THINK it's been since then. Tbh, since I'm still learning, I don't know what the settings should be on on the menu, i.e. I've just been playing around with the AI Focus settings and AI Servo will take pics, but they aren't always in focus.

Also, the lens itself has a little 'play' in it...if you have the focus on auto, you can still turn the lens a little on the front, about 2mm or so.

I want to get a new lens, a good all rounder, like a 18 - 200mm, but I have to save up a bit. I have a friend who's got one, and I'll barrow it to see if the camera does behave, but any pointers to tips would help out. If any of this makes sense???

If you are reliably missing focus, then the best test (IMO) would be to put on another lens and see if the problem goes away.

That particular lens can be replaced used for about $60.

I'm seeing a friend this weekend with the same camera and a nice lens on it...I'll try and barrow it for a few days and see. Thanks.

Update...put my mates lens on, it worked perfectly, even in low light in his dark house. So my lens is broken. I'm going to weigh up which is cheaper, a repair or replacement.

In other news, my mate sold me a 75-300 lens for £25!!! So I've got one like I wanted for a bargain price. All in all, not too bad.

Most reactions

Back