Standard zoom for Nikon

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone... I've been looking at telephotos for awhile and now that I'm pretty set on which one I want I'm starting to consider a new standard zoom. I currently use the kit 18 - 55 3.5 Nikon and figured if this is the lens that gets the most game time it only makes sense that this is where I'd put more of my money.

I'm thinking to get something starting around 18mm and preferably an F2.8 or faster. Anyone have recommendations or links? I'd think around $500 would be a good a balance for price / quality but feel free to suggest anything that you know works.

Thanks for reading!

I was going to say the 17-55 f/2.8, but once you said $500, that idea was basicly out the window.

for a $500 Nikkor f/2.8 standard zoom, the only thing you can get is the 35-70 f/2.8. I have one and I absolutly love it. Anyone else here that has it will tell you it's a classic.

If you're willing to forsake the Nikon nameplate, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is an excellent choice. It's 2.8 throughout the range, has good build quality, and can be bought for well under 400 bucks. I love it. Here's a photo sample:

MidPl_springhouse3-1.jpg

Unless the example above is part of a 100% blow up, it means nothing. It's impossible to see true sharpness on resized, smaller images.

exactly, it means NOTHING.

Most reactions

Back