Star Trails......I think Something Went Wrong.....

EhJsNe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Star_Trail_by_listoman.jpg

Thats the picture ^

Shot in RAW...very very little editing...about 18-19 minutes exposure (I was going for 30...but my battery died.....), ISO 200 (D70 doesnt go any lower) aperture f/8, shot with a nikno 50mm f/1.8D

What exactly went wrong? Is that from the long exposure (Ive never had noise issues from long exposures before....but I rarely do more than a few minutes...this was almost 20.....the long exposure noise reduction was on...but Im not sure if it did anything because the battery died)

Or is that perfectly good, and all that "noise" is possibly something else?

And whats up with the tree?! What made it like THAT?!

NOISE! Lots of it!

Run it through some kind of noise reduction and see what that does.

Probably due to the battery dying on you if you have never had the problem before.

Now, you can always call this photo art and see if someone likes it. lol.

Don't shoot in one go.

Use continuous shooting, 30 second frames. Less noise that way. Even then, still take a black frame and run through noise reduction.

yep long exposure noise. Try next time do interval shooting and stack them together

Don't shoot in one go.

Use continuous shooting, 30 second frames. Less noise that way. Even then, still take a black frame and run through noise reduction.

ooh...didnt think of doing that! Sounds good!

This was my first attempt...and I wasnt planning on doing this again if Im just going to get that.

yep long exposure noise. Try next time do interval shooting and stack them together

Argg...I hate noise. Why does digital have to complicate things so badly......

Wow, that's surprising, when I did long exposures on my D70 for the first time, I had magenta fog everywhere!

With the D70, You MUST have LONG EXPOSURE NR turned on, otherwise it looks like garbage. and you MUST be using a full battery, because if you do a 15 minute exposure, you have to do 15 minutes of Noise Reductoin, so the whole thing takes 30 minutes and sucks up battery life like it too.

Honestly, the D70 can't do anything much longer then 10-15 minutes of actual exposure (20-30minutes total). The sensor heats up too much, and creates too much noise, it rapes the battery, and the output is just too mushy and devoid of detail. Not good results at all.

So yeah, try full battery, 10 minutes, and long exposure NR on. You should get pretty ok results with that.

Wow, that's surprising, when I did long exposures on my D70 for the first time, I had magenta fog everywhere!

With the D70, You MUST have LONG EXPOSURE NR turned on, otherwise it looks like garbage. and you MUST be using a full battery, because if you do a 15 minute exposure, you have to do 15 minutes of Noise Reductoin, so the whole thing takes 30 minutes and sucks up battery life like it too.

Honestly, the D70 can't do anything much longer then 10-15 minutes of actual exposure (20-30minutes total). The sensor heats up too much, and creates too much noise, it rapes the battery, and the output is just too mushy and devoid of detail. Not good results at all.

So yeah, try full battery, 10 minutes, and long exposure NR on. You should get pretty ok results with that.

Thats probaly a good idea....Im assuming it didnt go into effect because the battery died....
ARE YOU IMPLYING MY EPIC PHOTO LOOKS LIKE GARBAGE?!?!?!?! HMM :lol: just kidding, Ill admit, this picture sucks......

THe sensor heats up? That doesnt sound good.....I never knew that before!
WEll...those results seem to match what happened to my picture! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back