Start of a 31 day personal challenge

You're going to have to go back to the Wa$hita theatre and shoot it from the road, directly in front, preferably with a wide-angle. Make it symmetrical, and have the perspective lines soaring into the sky. That style of architecture is reminiscent of the 1960's optimism, and jetstone "the future is gonna be great!" attitude.

(edit - had to put the "$" there as the in-line censor didn't like the word otherwise...)

Last edited:
You're going to have to go back to the Wa$hita theatre and shoot it from the road, directly in front, preferably with a wide-angle. Make it symmetrical, and have the perspective lines soaring into the sky. That style of architecture is reminiscent of the 1960's optimism, and jetstone "the future is gonna be great!" attitude.

(edit - had to put the "$" there as the in-line sensor didn't like the word otherwise...)

I do need to go back and shoot this again. I'll have to get a wide angle lens first. I took a lot of photos of this building and the signage but just didn't get "the shot". It really did catch my eye. Luckily, my wife said that she wanted to go back and shop instead of just window shop, so I may be in luck really soon on a Saturday.

Well, perhaps you don't need a wide-angle. What if you took a bunch of shots and then collated them together? Two approaches occur to me - one where you're trying to bend them together seamlessly, and another where each shot is from a slightly different angle/location, so that it is clear it is a collation. Either one could be promising, although the second one is probably easier from a processing point of view.

ronlane I am new in this forum and photography as well. I want you people's help...please let me know that how the picture is taken from my low budget camera

Milan - please post a new thread showing us your work so as not to distract from the OP's work here. Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, perhaps you don't need a wide-angle. What if you took a bunch of shots and then collated them together? Two approaches occur to me - one where you're trying to bend them together seamlessly, and another where each shot is from a slightly different angle/location, so that it is clear it is a collation. Either one could be promising, although the second one is probably easier from a processing point of view.

But I want the wide angle. I will look tonight and see what I have to pull different angles together. I really like both ideas. Thank you for the suggestions and help.

Wide angles are nice. Until you learn that what you really want is a really wide angle lens or a Tilt-Shift lens.
But I've learned that I have a lot to learn - so no Ultra Wide Angle lens for me just yet :)

Love the 30 day photos. It's hard for me to do 3 days straight much less 30. So I loved the thread so far. Keep it up.

Wide angles are nice. Until you learn that what you really want is a really wide angle lens or a Tilt-Shift lens.
But I've learned that I have a lot to learn - so no Ultra Wide Angle lens for me just yet :)

Love the 30 day photos. It's hard for me to do 3 days straight much less 30. So I loved the thread so far. Keep it up.

I agree 100% with you. I have so much to learn and the lenses that I "need" change all the time. I know that I want to add an ultra-wide to my collection for certain things but I have to prioritize what I get and when.

I was the same way with the 3 days straight and if you look at this collection as a whole, I failed a number of days getting a shot that would really warrant a look. I even had a couple of days where I didn't think I was going to get anything at all.

This month has really taught me a lot and I can see myself repeating this at times in order to stretch myself.

Ron, enjoyed looking at this thread! I'm inspired to do something similar. I know some people go for the 365 challenge but it's hard to do when you work full time and have a family. even 31 days is a stretch!
The Yukon Flour shot gave me flashbacks from my younger days! I grew up in Bethany, graduated from Putnam City West. Best wishes to you on finishing your challenge!

Mitch

Ron, enjoyed looking at this thread! I'm inspired to do something similar. I know some people go for the 365 challenge but it's hard to do when you work full time and have a family. even 31 days is a stretch!
The Yukon Flour shot gave me flashbacks from my younger days! I grew up in Bethany, graduated from Putnam City West. Best wishes to you on finishing your challenge!

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. Honestly there were days when just getting that day was tough for me. I'm in the same boat with work and family and weather, but I stuck to my guns and made myself get something (even if it was bad).

I'm from SW Oklahoma myself, but moved up to the Central part in 1996. I really enjoy it here.

Day 28 - So I got the idea this afternoon for this set to tell a story but the weather and time kept me from getting all the shots, so I may have to try this one again tomorrow as well.

I call this series "Beginning to end".

1) Overview of the start.

$Beginning to end-4.jpg

2) It starts here.

$Beginning to end-1.jpg

3) Then to here.

$Beginning to end-2.jpg

4) Then ultimately to here.

$Beginning to end-5.jpg

It could have used some more pictures to tell the story and complete the series. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'd like to see closeups of the texture on the tanks. Looks like it may be interesting. I've enjoyed following your 31 day journey.

I'd like to see closeups of the texture on the tanks. Looks like it may be interesting. I've enjoyed following your 31 day journey.

Thanks CherylL. Yeah, I can see your point on the texture. It's no excuse but that is as close as I could get. I needed my 55-250mm. Like I said, I am really considering redoing this idea tomorrow and getting some more photos that tell it better. And that could include getting a close up of the tanks.

One aspect to what you're doing, Ron, is that you are motivated to get it better. Have you ever watch a painter, or an artist? They get an idea, they sketch it out, sometimes hundreds of times until the idea starts to gel. Then they start the "real thing". And often go through a bunch of iterations until they get it right. We photographers rarely work at developing an idea over several iterations - and maybe we should. You could be onto something in considering re-taking, or re-examining the older shots.

One aspect to what you're doing, Ron, is that you are motivated to get it better. Have you ever watch a painter, or an artist? They get an idea, they sketch it out, sometimes hundreds of times until the idea starts to gel. Then they start the "real thing". And often go through a bunch of iterations until they get it right. We photographers rarely work at developing an idea over several iterations - and maybe we should. You could be onto something in considering re-taking, or re-examining the older shots.

I've never really watched a painter or artist work. I think that is very interesting. If I get decent weather tomorrow, I will give this another shot.

Day 29 - I decided to redo yesterdays series because I know that I can do better. It also helped to have better weather too. Not sure that it is a complete series to tell the story, but It is getting better, I think.

1) Getting it out of the ground.
$Gas time line-4.jpg

2) Separate and treat
$Gas time line-6.jpg

3) Storage
$Gas time line-8.jpg

4) Consumption
$Gas time line-10.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back