I also agree that for a 12 year old, a Canon compact would be best. I've had Sony, Nikon and Canon compacts and preferred the Canon, which is why I went with a Canon dSLR.
Things to remember:
- dont be fooled by higher megapixels. High MP doesnt mean better camera. For a P&S and something that she will probably use to post online and maybe a 6x4, 8mp is PLENTY. 8MP could print out a nice 8x12.
- Get something with image stabilization. I find that with a P&S, and specially used by a 12 year old who is often on the go and probably moving herself when she takes the images, IS is key.
This is where I preferred Canon. Canon had optical image stabilization, which is considered true IS. It has components in the camera that move to compensate for hand movement and such.
Digital IS, which is present in Nikon P&S, essentially pushes up your cameras ISO to allow for a faster shutter speed. However, the higher ISO, the more noise appears in the image, and thus noise-reduction is applied making an overall not as appealing picture.
So Optical IS over Digital IS
- Same goes with the zoom. Look for a zoom that is Optical, forget about Digital. Optical zoom is the lens actually zooming. Digital zoom is the camera doing what is equivalent to someone using an image software to crop or zoom in.
So Optical zoom vs Digital zoom.
That being said, on today's market, I'd go for something like the Canon PowerShot 10 MP camera (
Canon - PowerShot 10.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - SX120 IS )
Its on sale at Bestbuy for $199 instead of $249.
10MP, Digic 4 processor, Optical IS, 10x Optical zoom, water resistant design.
It runs on 2 regular AA batteries
A little lower on the scale is the Canon Powershot Digital Elph (
Canon - PowerShot 10.0-Megapixel Digital ELPH Camera - Pink - SD1200 IS ). Its $179, but from what I see, its only a 3x zoom, smaller screen, no IS. But it is Pink.
I really do like the first Canon I listed though, it looks like a nice camera.
If she sticks with photography, then the next step would be a bridge camera in a year or two, something like the Canon SX1 IS. It has a better sensor, a nice 20x optical zoom and more functions to learn how to better control a camera. Or even, if she is responsible enough, a used Canon Rebel dSLR to start with with some nice quality lenses