Starting into light

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I was hesitating about buying AlienBees or a nikon sb-700. Recently, I been looking into the SB-600, but I was wondering if the 150 for the SB-600 is too outdated, or is the SB-700 the better way to go and just pay the money.

I don't have any other lighting and wish to start getting into the lighting aspect of photography. The only major difference my naive self could find is the SB-600 doesn't have the commander option.

any insight for a rookie?

*SORRY I jumped to conclusion, saw the SB-600 for like $150, after doing more search found the real price* Feel free to delete, my apologies

First of all, what is your budget, and second, what do you want your lighting for. Studio lights (The Alien Bees) are more expensive, and less portable, but give off a LOT more light, and can generally operate for long periods of time without over-heating. Speedlights (SB 600/700) are cheap, portable and provide a reasonable amount of light. If you're going to set up a basement studio, then perhaps the ABs would be good, but if you don't already have at least one speedlight in your bag, I would start there.

I think everyone should have at least one brand-name speedlight to simplify work for those times when you want TTL flash exposures. The SB700 is a good way to go, or, if you can find it, the older, now discontinued SB800. If you can get 600s for $150, I would grab them, they're great for fill light, kickers, etc.

Actually, AlienBee's are pretty inexpensive when compared to camera maker speedlights.

$225 gets you a B400 - 160 Ws, where as a $350 Nikon SB-700 maxes out something like 75 Ws, though there is no precise way to equate Ws to the way speedlights are rated - which is by Guide Number.

The B800 is only $280 and gives a max of 320 Ws. The B1600 at $360 delivers up to 640 ws of light for about the same cost as a SB-700.

The new Nikon SB-910 is $550 buckeroo's.

Last edited:
The other option is to get a YN560 and a pair of cheap wireless trigger for less than the price of a SB600.

Actually, Alien Bee's are pretty inexpensive when compared to camera maker speedlights.

$225 gets you a B400 - 160 Ws, where as a $350 Nikon SB-700 maxes out something like 75 Ws, though there is no precise way to equate Ws to the way speedlights are rated - which is by Guide Number.

The B800 is only $280 and gives a max of 320 Ws. The B1600 at $360 delivers up to 640 ws of light for about the same cost as a SB-700.

The new Nikon SB-910 is $550 buckeroo's.
Shows you how much I know... the only 'Bees I've seen for sale in my area are used. I thought PCB products were a little higher-end.

I saw the SB-600 for a cheap 150 then found out it was a scam site on google shopping.. I was just looking for less than 500 dollars and something that can get me started into portrait photography, typically outdoors, because I don't have a studio. I'm hoping my friends will let me practice with them.

Go with the SB-700. Sounds like a better fit for your situation. The 700 is easier to learn manual flash exposure than the 600 IMO.

If you're going to do manual flash, why pay for all the automatic, golly-gee-whiz features a SB-600 or SB-700 have?

To do portraits the strobed light, the flash unit needs to be off the camera, and it needs to be made an apparently much larger light source so the light it produces is less harsh.

Most reactions

Back